The BIPOC Graduate Student Mentoring Academy is building its network of BIPOC Mentors. We welcome applications from diverse backgrounds, including university professionals, government and private sector experts, community leaders, and elders. Mentors play a vital role in preparing graduate students for various professional paths, both within and outside academia. This opportunity allows you to share your knowledge, enhance networking, and engage in self-reflection.
BIPOC Graduate Student Mentoring Academy Program Preview Event
Join us for an in-person information session on Tuesday, September 12, 2023, from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at Life Sciences Research Institute (LSRI) Atrium - North Tower, 1344 Summer St, NS, B3H OA8 featuring an overview of the program, guest speakers including previous mentor and mentee, networking, supper and more. Registration required!
To be eligible to be a Mentor, you must:
- Self-identify as Black, Indigenous and/or a Person of Colour (BIPOC)
- Be a full or part-time working or retired professional or Elder
- Have some Mentoring experience (preferred but not mandatory)
As a Mentor, your Roles and Responsibilities include:
- Identify and share resources for Mentee’s academic and professional success.
- Encourage ongoing reflection on program participation.
- Engage in meaningful conversations and contribute actively.
- Advocate for the Mentee's needs and interests.
- Foster a safe and confidential environment.
- Be respectful, approachable, and non-judgmental.
- Offer encouragement and constructive feedback.
- Provide guidance on Mentee’s professional development goals.
- Assist in developing/improving Mentee’s skills in specific areas.
- Help navigate university life.
- Expand Mentee's network through connections in the field.
- Support Mentee by arranging an alternative solution when unable to fulfill certain aspects of Mentoring relationship.
- Acknowledge the potential to learn from the Mentee.
To sign up to be a Mentor, complete the Mentor application form. You will be added to our list and contacted once the program is initiated and you are matched with a mentee.
Applications for the 2023-24 program will be open from August 1 to September 22, 2023. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org