Skip to main content

Apply for a standalone course

A number of students sitting at desks with papers, coffee, and laptops are smiling with heir attention toward someone off-camera.

Special Student Graduate Studies status

With permission from the Faculty of Graduate Studies, it is possible for you to take courses outside of a program for personal or professional enrichment. The registration category for non-program students taking graduate courses is Special Student Graduate Studies. You may take a maximum of 12 credit hours with the permission of the course instructor and the appropriate graduate coordinator. To gain acceptance, you will need to meet the general eligibility requirements to apply to graduate studies. You will also need to have the approval of the department that offers the course.

To apply:

  1. Complete and submit the online application form.

  2. In the "Program Selection/Field of Study" section, select "Special Student Graduate Studies" as the program you're applying for and list the department which offers the course you'd like to take.

  3. Pay the $115 application fee.

  4. Arrange to have your post-secondary transcripts sent directly from the universities you attended to the department to which you're applying.

  5. Arrange to have your ESL test score, if required, sent to the department to which you're applying. 

Reference letters and other supporting documents are not required unless they are requested by the department.