Recent news and events
Introducing our newest member of the Department of German
A Virtual Toast to this Year's Graduating Students & Award Winners
Celebrating our amazing students in lieu of our annual awards reception
2020 German Immersion Day
A day of fun and relaxed spoken German
2019 Berlin Wall Exhibition
A celebration of the 30 year anniversary since the fall of the Berlin wall
Top 5 reasons to study German at Dalhousie
- Speaking German is an asset to careers in engineering, art history, journalism, diplomatic service, linguistics, education, economics, theatre studies, music, film, political science, and architecture.
- Combine German studies with other programs, such as Environment, Sustainability, and Society (ESS) or Political Science—and find out how the writings of Freud, Nietzsche, Marx, Hegel, Goethe, and Schiller are still relevant to today’s complex social problems.
- Through events organized by the German Society, including its annual German Immersion Day, you'll have opportunities to practice your German in a fun, social atmosphere.
- A low student-professor ratio means more opportunities for individual attention from profs, helping ensure your success.
- Open your eyes to another culture! The Department of German’s study abroad program lets you experience German culture firsthand for up to a year—while earning credits toward your BA at Dal.