Contract and Limited‑term Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching
Nominations Close January 31, 2018
One award will be presented annually.
Both nominators and evaluators should consider the following list of criteria. Nominees should provide evidence of outstanding teaching, which can include but is not limited to:
- evidence of excellent overall quality in teaching courses as determined by students and peers at both the undergraduate level and, where possible, the graduate level
- evidence of sustained commitment to excellence in teaching and learning over a number of years
- incorporation of innovative and evidence-based teaching and learning approaches where possible and appropriate
- effective and appropriate use of technology for online, blended, and face-to-face contexts
- utilization of effective and innovative assessment methods that focus on the deep learning of the subject and the development of critical thinking, collaboration, and problem-solving skills
- having a comprehensive knowledge of the subject and setting high standards and motivating students to attain them
- evidence of educational leadership beyond the expectations of contract and limited-term faculty.
This award shall normally be awarded once to any single recipient over the course of his/her career at Dalhousie.
Value of Award
$500 per recipient
A nomination package must include
- Letter of nomination
- The nominee's abbreviated CV (max. eight pages)
- The nominee's teaching dossier, including a teaching philosophy statement and summary of student ratings of instruction from past three to five years (where possible) (max. 20 pages)
- Two letters of support from current and/or former students
- Two letters of support from colleagues
- Additional supporting materials (e.g., course descriptions, descriptions of course innovations, publications or presentations on teaching, written comments from student ratings of instructions, additional letters of support, etc.) (max. 10 pages)
Nominators should collect and collate all required materials including those written by the nominee and the letters of supports to ensure confidentiality. The nominator is responsible for submitting the award nomination package on or before the deadline. In the case of self-nominations, the self-nominator should seek a colleague to request, collect and submit letters of support on their behalf to ensure confidentiality. This colleague shall submit the letters as a separate electronic file to the Centre for Learning and Teaching.
Candidates must be a full-time contract or limited-term faculty member of the Dalhousie University teaching staff. While there is no rigid criterion for length and breadth of service at the university, a teaching record extending more than two years at Dalhousie is expected, though the position need not be a 12-month appointment in each year.
Submission of Nomination
Full nomination packages must be submitted as one PDF. Nominations may be submitted one of two ways:
Nominations close January 31, 2018.
- Faculty Senator (elected by SLTC) – who shall chair the committee
- Executive Director, CLT (or designate)
- (1) Dean or Associate Dean Academic – appointed annually
- (1) Faculty Representatives – appointed annually
- (2) Sessional and part-time instructor representatives (from the pool of previous winners, where possible)
- (1) Student Representative – appointed annually in consultation with the DSU