On‑campus work

By working on campus, you can expand your social and professional networks by being more involved in the campus community and enhance your learning through workplace experiences in an academic setting (e.g. through research-oriented positions).

What is considered "on-campus" work?
On-campus employment is defined as employment within the boundaries of the campus or in facilities owned, leased, or rented by Dalhousie. For example, your employer may be the University, a student organization, or a private contractor operating within the boundaries of the campus, such as a business in the Student Union Building or the library. On-campus employment includes work at facilities such as teaching hospitals, clinics, and research institutes, which may be located off campus but have a formal association or affiliation with Dalhousie, and which are located within the City of Halifax. This includes Dalhousie’s Sexton Campus or Agriculture Campus.

How many hours can you work on campus per week?
IRCC does not limit the number of hours students are permitted to work on campus. However, some Dalhousie employers may restrict the hours students can work. It is generally recommended to work no more than 10-15 hours per week to avoid impacting your studies. 

Are you eligible to work on campus?
You do not need a work permit to work on campus if you are a full-time international student and you have a valid study permit, which states that you can work in Canada. 

My study permit states that I can NOT work, nor accept employment, but I am eligible to work 
If you are eligible to work in Canada as a student but you do not have one of the documents listed above, you must can get your study permit changed or amended.


Step 1: Go to the Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada website


Step 2: Fill in the application form and gather supporting documents

1.  Complete the IMM 1436 application form.
You can find the Guide to Completing the IMM1436 form (114KB) here.

2.  Gather the following supporting documents:

  • original study permit (please make a true copy of your study permit for yourself. You should also take a picture of your original permit and save it in a secure place)
  • certified true copy of entry passport page (showing only passport number, date of issue and expiry, photo, name, date, and place of birth. You can make a true copy at the International Centre)
  • photocopy of Nova Scotia ID, if applicable
  • confirmation of enrolment letter showing you are enrolled for future terms (available at the Registrar's Office for undergraduate students and the Faculty of Graduate Studies for graduate students)
  • Dalhousie Letter of Acceptance/Admission 
  • Proof of urgency. Visit the IRCC website to see if you qualify for urgent processing  

Step 3: Mail the application form and the supporting documents

Purchase a large envelope.

Insert your application and supporting documents in the envelope.

Print the mailing address on the envelope. It should be mailed to:

Amendment to the Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Temporary Resident Document,Operations Support Centre (OSC), Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, Ottawa, Ontario,  K1A 1L1

Print your name and address at the top left-hand side of the envelope

Affix sufficient postage (top right of the envelope). This can be done at any Canada Post outlet.

Mail the envelope.

If you prefer, you have the option of sending your application using courier mail.

Important Information

After you submit your application, Immigraton Refugee and Citizenship Canada may contact you for additional documents.  If you are contacted, make an appointment with an International Student Advisor to ensure you respond accurately and punctually to the IRCC request. 


        Please review our Contact Us page that lists who to
        contact for different types of advising and support.