Off‑campus work

International students who are continually enrolled full time at Dalhousie University are eligible to work off campus 20 hours a week or full time during a scheduled break.  If your study permit authorizes you to work, you can begin working right away.  If your study permit does not authorize you to work off campus you must amend your study permit.


Step 1: Go to the Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada website

Step 2: Fill in the application form and gather supporting documents

1.  Complete the IMM 1436 application form.
You can find the Guide to Completing the IMM1436 form (114KB) here.

2.  Gather the following supporting documents:

  • original study permit (please make a true copy of your study permit for yourself. You should also take a picture of your original permit and save it in a secure place)
  • certified true copy of entry passport page (showing only passport number, date of issue and expiry, photo, name, date, and place of birth. You can make a true copy at the International Centre)
  • photocopy of Nova Scotia ID, if applicable
  • confirmation of enrolment letter showing you are enrolled for future terms (available at the Registrar's Office for undergraduate students and the Faculty of Graduate Studies for graduate students)
  • Dalhousie Letter of Acceptance/Admission 
  • Proof of urgency. Visit the IRCC website to see if you qualify for urgent processing  

Step 3: Mail the application form and the supporting documents

Purchase a large envelope.

Insert your application and supporting documents in the envelope.

Print the mailing address on the envelope. It should be mailed to:

Amendment to the Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Temporary Resident Document,Operations Support Centre (OSC), Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, Ottawa, Ontario,  K1A 1L1

Print your name and address at the top left-hand side of the envelope

Affix sufficient postage (top right of the envelope). This can be done at any Canada Post outlet.

Mail the envelope.

If you prefer, you have the option of sending your application using courier mail.

Important Information

After you submit your application, Immigraton Refugee and Citizenship Canada may contact you for additional documents.  If you are contacted, make an appointment with an International Student Advisor to ensure you respond accurately and punctually to the IRCC request. 

Working off campus can help financially, and can also help you expand your social and professional networks by being more involved in the local community. In order to work off campus you MUST be a registered, full-time, international student AND have a study permit with off campus work conditions. 


What is it?
A study permit with off campus work conditions allows international students to work off campus, provided they meet all eligibility requirements. The number of hours you can work varies according to your student status.

Undergraduate students can work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the regular academic year (September to April). You may work full-time during academic breaks (summer, Reading Week, and breaks between terms) if you hold full-time status during the academic term prior to, and subsequent to, the academic break.

Graduate students can work a maximum of 20 hours per week throughout the year. You may work full-time during Reading Week and breaks between terms.

NOTE: International students who were in Canada as of December 7, 2023 or who applied for a study permit or a study permit extension on or before December 7, 2023, are eligible to work off campus for more than 20 hours per week until April 30, 2024, subject to the above IRCC eligibility requirements. More information is available on our Immigration Updates webpage.

Why do I need it?
Canadian employers can only hire you if your study permit provides permission to work. Furthermore every employee must provide their employer with a Social Insurance Number (SIN) in order to be paid. Service Canada, which is the office that issues Social Insurance Numbers, will only issue a SIN if an international student has a study permit that explicitly states you are allowed to work off-campus. 

When do I need it?
You must have a study permit with work conditions before you apply for jobs and before you go to the Service Canada office. If you were not given a study permit with off campus work conditions when you entered Canada for the first time, you are encouraged to get your study permit changed/amended with work conditions as soon as possible.  

Please note:
Some volunteer positions may be also considered work by CIC. For example, volunteering for a job that is normally performed by paid employees (photocopying, customer service, etc.) is considered work regardless of whether you are paid or not. Review the meaning of work according to the IRCC definition to decide. If your volunteer position is considered work, you need to follow the relevant work conditions.

You cannot work off campus if:

  • You are a visiting or exchange student
  • You are registered in a general interest program such as Qualifying Year or Special Students—you are not eligible to work off campus because your program of study does not lead to a degree or diploma at Dalhousie.
  • You are registered in an English or French as a Second Language (ESL/FSL) program (Note: Students who are enrolled in a degree program that includes an ESL/FSL component may be eligible to work off campus only after completing the ESL/FSL component).
  • You are on an authorized leave from your studies.
  • Your situation changes and you no longer meet all of the requirements to work off campus.




        Please review our Contact Us page that lists who to
        contact for different types of advising and support.