Working after graduation

If you would like to work in Canada after completing your degree, you must apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit. You may be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit within 90 days of completing your program requirements.

Your study permit must still be valid at the time you apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit.

Online application

Step 1: Log into my IRCC through GCKey or Sign-in partner

If you are a new user, you need to register for MyIRCC through GCKey or Sign-in Partner. Your Client ID from your Study Permit is required to complete the registration.


Step 2: Click on ‘Apply for visitor visa or study/work permit’

You will be prompted to enter a personal checklist code.  If you do not already have a code, click on "Determine your eligibility".  Answer all the questions that follow.

You can find a guide to completing the questions in the sidebar.

Step 3: Fill in the online application form and gather supporting documentation

1. Complete the IMM 5710 Application form. Validate and save the form as an unsigned copy. You can find the guide to completing IMM5710 in the sidebar.

2. Gather the following supporting documents:

  • digital photo (420x540 pixels)
  • passport (only pages with stamps, visas, photos)
  • program completion letter/formal notification

Once you have all the documents ready, save them electronically. The dosuments must be less than 4MB each, and can be saved as pdfs, jpegs or word docs.

Upload the IMM 5710 form and supporting documents in your MyCIC account.

Step 4: Pay the application fee

Pay the $255 CAD fee online with a credit card (VISA, MasterCard, American Express).

Do not forget to print a receipt.

Step 5: Submit the application

Save or print your confirmation of successful transmission for your records.

Important Information

After you submit your application, Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada may contact you for additional documents.  If you are contacted, make an appointment with an International Student Advisor to ensure you respond accurately and punctually to the IRCC request.   



What is it?
post-graduation work permit (PGWP) is a document that gives you permission to remain in Canada as a worker and work full-time for up to three years after you graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution. See full eligibility details.

Why do I need it?

A PGWP is an excellent way to stay in Canada after you graduate, and gain Canadian work experience and could possibly lead to permanent residency in Canada.

When do I need it?
You must apply for your PGWP within 90 days of receiving your final marks or from receiving written notice of completion of your studies, whichever comes first. If you have questions about the exact date of program completion, please ask your academic advisor.

Working while you wait
If Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) receives your application for a PGWP within 90 days of completing the requirements of your Dalhousie degree (see “When do I need to apply for it” section), you may work full-time while you wait for a decision on your PGWP application as long as you meet this criteria, as per the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations ss186(w) and (v):

  • You were enrolled full time in a degree or diploma program that was longer than eight months
  • You did not work over the authorized number of hours per week when you were a student

If your application for your PGWP is not approved, your legal status will end and you MUST leave Canada, unless you have obtained alternate legal status.


Work Permit Conditions

Work permits issued by IRCC, such as internship/co-op, off-campus, and post-graduate work permits may be subject to restrictions. International students who were not required to undergo an immigration medical examination before coming to Canada may be subject to the following occupation/workplace restrictions that require an immigration medical examination:

  • health care setting
  • child care
  • primary and secondary educational facilities

There is a complete list of occupations and Designated Medical Practitioners on the IRCC website.


Meet with an International Student Advisor

  • Email Please include your student number (B00) in the subject line and in the body of the email, include your name, your citizenship(s), Permit/Visa expiration dates (if applicable) and if you are currently in Canada (YES or NO).
  • Book an appointment online.
  • Or drop by one of our locations across campus.