Staying in Canada

While studying in Canada or after your studies, you may become interested in either extending your stay temporarily, or maybe even permanently! 

Extending your stay

If you don't plan on staying in Canada for the long-haul, the Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) program allows you to stay in Canada for up to three years and work in any field.

Becoming a Permanent Resident

If you plan to stay in Canada to live and work after graduating, you may want to apply for Permanent Residency (also known as Landed Immigrant). If you want to immigrate to Canada, there are a few different ways to apply. You will need to decide which immigration program will work best for you and your family.

Although we are unable to assist you with Permanent Residency advising, we are pleased to offer a number of information sessions throughout the academic year, delivered by Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada, Nova Scotia Office of Immigration, and a local immigration law firm. 

If you would like to apply for Permanent Residency while you are still a student, research your options on the Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

Different types of Permanent Residency Programs:

Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program 

For further questions, please contact the Nova Scotia Office of Immigration office by phone at 1 (902) 424.5230 or 1 (877) 292.9597 (toll free in Nova Scotia), or via email at


Attend a Permanent Residency Information Session

The International Centre invites various governmental and private organizations to deliver PR information sessions to international students each fall and winter term—watch your International Centre newsletter for details or check out the events on our Facebook page. Guests include the Nova Scotia Office of Immigration-NSOI, Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada-IRCC and regulated immigration Consultants.

Hire a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant/Representative

Immigration representatives give immigration advice and help to applicants, usually for a fee. Learn about using a representative.

You do not need to hire an immigration representative. It is up to you. Your application will not be given special attention or guaranteed approval if you use a representative.

All the forms and information that you need to apply are available for free on the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada-IRCC website. If you follow the instructions in the application guide, you can complete the application forms and submit them on your own.



        Please review our Contact Us page that lists who to
        contact for different types of advising and support. 

International Student Support Team


Teresa Inacio 

International Student Advisor

Teresa has worked at the International Centre in various capacities supporting international and exchange students. She is originally from Portugal and immigrated with her family to Ontario when she was young. She continues to develop and implement programs that support a positive international student experience. Teresa received her BA from Dalhousie University and in May 2012 graduated from Mount Saint Vincent University with a Master of Education degree. She is a “foodie” at heart and enjoys discovering new and interesting restaurants across Nova Scotia.

Teresa can be reached at:

Qiuling Wu 

International Student Advisor

Qiuling graduated from the University of Alberta in 2001 with a Master of Education degree in Educational Policy Studies. He has over 12 years of professional experience in Canada in the fields of international education, teacher certification, international qualifications assessment and recognition as well as international admissions, recruitment and advising. Qiuling has two children and enjoys spending time with them after work.

Qiuling can be reached at:

Zack Yu

International Student Advisor

Zack Yu joined the Dalhousie International Centre Team in November 2020. A graduate of the University of Manitoba, he earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Agribusiness. Zack began working with international students as an undergraduate mentor at U of M. As a former international student, he understands the challenges international students may encounter and enjoys helping them to navigate the university experience. Zack is fluent in English and Mandarin and fully embraces what it means to be a global citizen. His interests include hiking, travelling, playing tennis, and cooking, as he also holds a certificate in Culinary Arts.

Zack can be reacted at:

Marva Williams

Administrative Assistant

Marva can be reached at

Erika Sommerville

Programs Coordinator 

Erika can be reacted at: