Study Permit

A Study Permit allows you to study in Canada and if applicable, may also allow you to work on or off campus. If you wish to study at Dalhousie University for more than six months, you must have a valid Study Permit that will allow you to study at a post-secondary institution in Canada.

Students are strongly encouraged to not begin their studies at Dalhousie University without being issued a study permit approval letter or a valid study permit. Learn more about the risks of studying without authorization.


What is it?
A Study Permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada that allows a foreign individual to study in Canada for a limited time. It also allows you to remain in Canada and work on (and sometimes off) campus where you are enrolled as a full-time student (– see Working in Canada). Most international students will require a Study Permit to study in Canada. The majority of first time study permits are applied outside of Canada and issued when the student arrives in Canada.

Why do I need it?
You are required to obtain a study permit for engaging in academic, professional, vocational or other education or training that is more than six months in duration at a designated learning institution in Canada. If you study in Canada for less than 6 months, you can do so as a visitor (ie. no study permit is required), but you will need to apply for a study permit if you want to extend your studies.

When do I need it?
You need to apply for your first time study permit outside Canada before you begin your studies. A study permit application can take many months to be processed.  It is a good idea to apply as soon as you have your proof of admission to Dalhousie University.  Citizens and permanent residents of the United States of America have the option of applying when they enter Canada (processing is done immediately).

How do I extend my study permit?


        Please review our Contact Us page that lists who to
        contact for different types of advising and support.