Study Permit Extension

Your valid Study Permit allows you to study and stay in Canada as a student. Know the expiry date and make sure to renew it two to three months before the expiration date.


What is it?
If you want to extend your stay in Canada as a student in order to complete your academic program, you must extend you study permit before it expires. Check the expiry date on your study permit, and make sure you apply before that date.  

Why do I need it?
You need to extend your study permit to maintain your student status, and continue studying and working (on and off campus) in Canada.

When do I need it?
You need to extend you study permit prior to the expiry date by applying online or by paper application. It is recommended you should apply for renewal at least 2-3 months before your current permit expires.

How do I Apply Online for a Study Permit Extension before my current permit expires?

Important Note: Your application will not be processed without the correct payment.

Step 1: Log into my CIC through GCKey or Sign-in partner

If you are a new user, you will need to register for MyCIC through GCKey or Sign-in Partner. You need the Client ID (the 8-digit number located right above the expiry date) on your Study Permit to complete the registration.  

Step 2: Click on 'Apply to come to Canada'

You will be asked to enter a Personal Reference Code.  

If you do not already have a code, go to the section, "I do not have a Personal Refence Code" and click onVisitor visa, study and/or work permit

Answer all the questions that follow.

Step 3: Fill in the online application form and gather supporting documentation

1. Complete the IMM 5709 Application form. Validate and save the form. You do not need to sign the form.  You can find the guide to completing IMM5709 in the Helpful Guide section on the right hand side of this webpage.

If you cannot open the form, save the document to your personal drive/desktop.  Then open the file as an Adobe pdf document on your computer.

2. Gather the following supporting documents:

  • digital photo (420x540 pixels)
  • all passport pages with stamps, visas, photos and signatures.  All pages must be scanned into one (1) document.
  • confirmation of enrolment letter (available at the Registrar's Office for undergraduate students and at the Faculty of Graduate Studies for graduate students).  The letter must show you are enrolled in the present semester and a future semester.
  • proof of financial support (eg. bank statement, loan letter or sponsorship letter)

Please note

Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) may request additional documents and will allow a 3-5 day submission period.  In preparation please gather the documents so that if IRCC requests them, you can promptly submit.  The documents include:

  • Original letter of Acceptance/Admission (Request from Registrar's Office if you no longer have your copy)
  • Official Transcript (Request from Registrar's Office)  

Once you have all the documents ready, you should save them electronically.  Ensure that each document size is 4MB or less.

Step 4: Pay the application fee

Pay the Study Permit renewal fee of $150 CAD online with a credit card (VISA, MasterCard, American Express). Please do not forget to print a receipt.

Step 5: Submit the application

Save or print your confirmation of successful transmission for your records.

Important Information

After you submit your application, Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada may contact you for additional documents.  If you are contacted, make an appointment with an International Student Advisor to ensure you respond accurately and punctually to the IRCC request.   

What do I do if my Study Permit has Expired?

  • If your Study Permit expired less than 90 days ago, you must also apply to Restore Your Status when applying to renew it (this costs an additional $200 CAD). You should meet one of the advisors if you are in this situation to further discuss any potential academic consequences and solutions.

  • If your Study Permit expired more than 90 days agoyou are required to leave Canada immediately and apply from outside of the country for a Study Permit (and TRV, if necessary).

Need Help?

Meet with an International Student Advisor: