Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)
Your valid Temporary Resident Visa allows you to enter Canada. Know the expiry date and make sure to renew it two to three months before the expiration date.
HOW TO APPLY ONLINE
Step 1: Log into my IRCC through GCKey or Sign-in partner
If you are a new user, you must register for MyCIC through GCKey or Sign-in Partner. Your Client ID from your Study Permit is required to complete the registration.
Step 2: Click on ‘Apply for visitor visa or study/work permit'
You will be prompted to enter a personal checklist code. If you do not already have a code, click on "Determine your eligibility". Answer all the questions that follow.
Step 3: Fill in the online application form and gather supporting documentation
1) Complete the IMM 5257 Application form. Validate and save the form as an unsigned copy. If you cannot open the form, remove the pop-up blocker on your browser and update your Adobe Reader. We recommend using Firefox or Internet Explorer as your browser.
You can find a guide to completing IMM5257 in the sidebar.
2) Gather the following supporting documents:
- digital photo (420x540 pixels)
- passport pages (only pages with stamps, visas, photos)
- study permit (or post-graduate work permit if applicable)
- recent transcript (Go directly to the Registrar's office or make a request on DalOnline)
- proof of next term's enrolment: undergraduate students can request a confirmation of enrolment letter from the Registrar's Office and graduate students can request a letter from the Faculty of Graduate Studies
- proof of means of financial support (eg. bank statement, loan letter or sponsorship letter)
Once you have all the documents ready, save them electronically, then upload the IMM 5257 form and supporting documents.
Step 4: Pay the application fee
Pay theTRV renewal fee of $100 CAD online with a credit card (VISA, MasterCard, American Express). Do not forget to print a receipt.
Step 5: Submit application and wait for IRCC response
Save or print your confirmation of successful transmission for your records.
After you submit your application, Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada may contact you for additional documents. If you are contacted, make an appointment with an International Student Advisor to ensure you respond accurately and punctually to the IRCC request.
Once your application has been processed, IRCC will send you an email and direct you to your "MyIRCC" account to check your messages (under "My Messages").
In your "My Messages", print the IRCC letter, then purchase two prepaid (32 x 24 cm and 26 x 16.5 cm) Xpresspost—National envelopes at any Canada Post retail outlet.
Enclose one envelope in the other envelope along with your passport and IRCC letter. This second envelope will be used to return your passport and new TRV to you.
Please mail your passport and letter to the following address:
CPP – Ottawa
P. O. Box 9640
Ottawa, ON, K1G 6T2
Write your Client ID, Application Number (found in your letter) and “TRV Application” on your envelope (white area above the mailing label).
Client ID: ######
What is it?
A TRV is an official counterfoil document issued by a visa office that is placed in a person’s passport to show that he or she has met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident.
Who needs it?
Only citizens of specific countries require Temporary Resident Visas to enter Canada. TRVs are often issued for the same length of time as the study permit. If you have a study permit, a TRV is not needed while inside Canada, but it is a good idea to keep a valid TRV in case of sudden trips outside of Canada.
Why do I need it?
Not everyone requires a TRV to enter Canada. Citizens from visa-exempt countries do not require a TRV to travel to Canada as a temporary resident (visitor, student, or temporary worker). Check the IRCC website to see if you need a valid TRV to travel to Canada.
When do I need it?
If you need to travel outside of Canada, you will need a TRV to re-enter Canada. Therefore we recommend you apply for a new TRV before you travelling outside of Canada. Please remember this is for Citizens of non-Visa exempt countries.
Meet with an International Student Advisor
- Email email@example.com. Please include your student number (B00) in the subject line and in the body of the email, include your name, your citizenship(s), Permit/Visa expiration dates (if applicable) and if you are currently in Canada (YES or NO).
- Book an appointment via MyDal under "Find a service"
- Or drop by one of our locations across campus.