Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

Your valid Temporary Resident Visa allows you to enter Canada. Know the expiry date and make sure to renew it two to three months before the expiration date.


Step 1: Log into your IRCC online account through GCKey or Sign-in partner

If you are a new user, you must register for MyCIC through GCKey or Sign-in Partner. Your Client ID from your Study Permit is required to complete the registration.

Step 2: Click on ‘Apply to come to Canada'

You will be asked to enter a Personal Reference Code.  

If you do not already have a code, go to the section, "I do not have a Personal Refence Code" and click on Visitor visa, study and/or work permit

Answer all the questions that follow. Please use the TRV Eligibility Questionaire Guide available in the navigation.

Step 3: Fill in the online application form and gather supporting documentation

1) Complete the IMM 5257 Application form. Validate and save the form as an unsigned copy.  If you cannot open the form, remove the pop-up blocker on your browser and update your Adobe Reader.  We recommend using Firefox or Internet Explorer as your browser.

You can find a guide to completing IMM5257 in the sidebar.

2) Gather the following supporting documents:

  • digital photo (420x540 pixels)
  • passport pages (only pages with stamps, visas, photos)
  • study permit (or post-graduate work permit if applicable)
  • Official transcript (Go directly to the Registrar's office or make a request on DalOnline)
  • proof of next term's enrolment: undergraduate students can request a confirmation of enrolment letter from  the Registrar's Office and graduate students can request a letter from the Faculty of Graduate Studies
  • proof of means of financial support  (eg. bank statement, loan letter or sponsorship letter)

Once you have all the documents ready, save them electronically, then upload the IMM 5257 form and supporting documents.

Important Information

After you submit your application, Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada may contact you for additional documents.  If you are contacted, make an appointment with an International Student Advisor to ensure you respond accurately and punctually to the IRCC request.   

Step 4: Pay the application fee

Pay theTRV renewal fee of $100 CAD online with a credit card (VISA, MasterCard, American Express). Do not forget to print a receipt.

Step 5: Submit application and wait for IRCC response

Save or print your confirmation of successful transmission for your records.

Once your application has been processed, IRCC will send you an email directing you to your IRCC online account. In the section for submitted applications, you should check your application for any IRCC letters requesting your passport.

Print the IRCC letter, then purchase two prepaid (32 x 24 cm and 26 x 16.5 cm)  Xpresspost—National envelopes at any Canada Post retail outlet.

Enclose one envelope in the other envelope along with your passport and IRCC letter. This second envelope will be used to return your passport and new TRV to you.

We recommend you enclose your passport and the IRCC letter in a regular envelope. Write your UCI, Application Number (found in your letter) and “TRV Application” on your envelope.

UCI: ######

Application: V######

“TRV Application”

Please mail all your documents to the following address:

Temporary Resident Visa Section
CPP - Ottawa (e-Application)
PO Box 9640
Ottawa, ON, K1G 6T2

If sent by private courier (eg. FedEx, DHL, UPS):

Temporary Resident Visa Section

Case Processing Centre - Ottawa

365 Laurier Avenue West

Ottawa, Ontario

K1A 1L1


What is it?
A TRV is an official counterfoil document issued by a visa office that is placed in a person’s passport to show that he or she has met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident.

Who needs it?

Only citizens of specific countries require Temporary Resident Visas to enter Canada. TRVs are often issued for the same length of time as the study permit. If you have a study permit, a TRV is not needed while inside Canada, but it is a good idea to keep a valid TRV in case of sudden trips outside of Canada.

Why do I need it?
Not everyone requires a TRV to enter Canada. Citizens from visa-exempt countries do not require a TRV to travel to Canada as a temporary resident (visitor, student, or temporary worker). Check the IRCC website to see if you need a valid TRV to travel to Canada.

When do I need it?
If you need to travel outside of Canada, you will need a TRV to re-enter Canada. Therefore we recommend you apply for a new TRV before you travelling outside of Canada. Please remember this is for Citizens of non-Visa exempt countries. 


        Please review our Contact Us page that lists who to
        contact for different types of advising and support.