What Will I Learn?
Be part of a new generation linking community to campus
Innovative Program. Engaged Learning.
The RBC Sustainability Leadership Certificate (SLC) offers students the opportunity to:
- Learn practical skills and tools to lead and inspire change
- Practice participatory facilitation, group leadership, systems thinking and project prototyping
- Turn ideas into action by designing and implementing social change projects that meet real needs
- Build a network of collaborators and learn from community leaders in sustainability
- Bridge theory and practice in addressing social, environmental and economic sustainability challenges
Three weekends and a world of difference
During the program, participating students attend three weekend seminars and take part in engaged learning projects between the weekends.
The first weekend module "Grounded & Ready for Action" sets the stage by allowing students to explore their personal relationship to varying styles of leadership in the context of sustainability. The second weekend "Designing for Action" introduces students to powerful tools for change that can be effectively used to plan and facilitate change in a complex world. Finally, weekend three "Leadership in Action" focuses entirely on the ability of students to exercise agency in the real world with the assured direction and confidence to be a leader of sustainability.
Who should apply?
The program is open to all Dalholusie students and graduates (first-year ESS students enrolled in SUST 1000 or second year and above for all other majors/programs).
If you are hungry to develop the confidence to lead social change in your community, the RBC SLC is for you. Current students, recent graduates — anyone who is passionate about creating a sustainable world future — should apply.
Sustainability Leadership Toolkit
Here are some examples of the tools participants use to develop sustainability leadership:
|ASPIRE Model||Multiple Intelligences|
|ABCD (Asset Based Community Development)||Power of Stories|
|Appreciative Inquiry||Ripple effects|
||Servant Leader Facilitation
||The Natural Step|