PO Box 15000
Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
- Lithium-ion batteries
- Sodium-ion batteries
- Desalination batteries
Room 329, Sir James Dunn Building
Our research focuses on the development of battery materials that are energy dense, safe, long-lasting, low-cost, and sustainable, the creation of innovative methods to study complex degradation mechanisms in batteries, and the application of battery technology for use in water desalination.
Work Experience and Education:
- Assistant Professor, Herzberg-Dahn Chair for Advanced Battery Research, Department of Physics & Atmospheric Science, Dalhousie University, Canada
- Senior Research Engineer, Bosch Research and Technology Center North America, Robert Bosch LLC, USA
- PhD from Technical University of Munich (Prof. Hubert Gasteiger), Germany
- Visiting PhD at Bar-Ilan University (Prof. Doron Aurbach), Israel
- Diploma in Physics from Technical University of Munich, Germany
Honors and Awards:
- PwC Strategy& Presidential Award (2017)
- Evonik Industries Research Prize (2016)
- ECS Herbert H. Uhlig Summer Fellowship (2016)
- A. Adamson, K. Tuul, T. Bötticher, S. Azam, M. D. L. Garayt, and M. Metzger, “Improving Lithium-ion Cells by Replacing Polyethylene Terephthalate Jellyroll Tape”, Nature Materials, accepted (2023). DOI: 10.21203/rs.3.rs-2922483/v1
- H. Hijazi,= Z. Ye,= L. Zhang, J. Deshmukh, M. B. Johnson, J. R. Dahn, and M. Metzger, “Impact of Sodium Metal Plating on Cycling Performance of Layered Oxide/Hard Carbon Sodium-ion Pouch Cells with Different Voltage Cut-offs”, J. Electrochem. Soc. 170 070512 (2023). DOI: 10.1149/1945-7111/ace4fa.
- L. Zhang, J. Deshmukh, H. Hijazi, Z. Ye, M. B. Johnson, A. George, J. R. Dahn, and M. Metzger, “Impact of Calcium on Air Stability of Na[Ni1/3Fe1/3Mn1/3]O2 Positive Electrode Material for Sodium-ion Batteries”, J. Electrochem. Soc. 170 070514 (2023). DOI: 10.1149/1945-7111/ace55a.
- S. Buechele, A. Adamson, A. Eldesoky, T. Boetticher, L. Hartmann, T. Boulanger, S. Azam, M. B. Johnson, T. Taskovic, E. Logan, and M. Metzger, “Identification of Redox Shuttle Generated in LFP/Graphite and NMC811/Graphite Cells”, J. Electrochem. Soc. 170 010511 (2023). DOI: 10.1149/1945-7111/acaf44.
- M. Metzger and H. A. Gasteiger, “Diagnosing Battery Degradation via Gas Analysis”, Energy Environ. Mater. 5 288-692 (2022). DOI: 10.1002/eem2.12326.