Professor, Carnegie Chair in Geology
Phone: +1 902 494 2208
Fax: +1` 902 494 6889
1459 Oxford Street
PO BOX 15000
Halifax NS B3H 4R2
Life Sciences Centre
3rd floor, Bio / E S Wing
Ph.D., ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 1992
B.Sc., University of Belgrade, Yugoslavia, 1983
ERTH 3140: Structural Geology
ERTH 4350: Tectonics
ERTH 4100/4200: Research Projects / Honours Thesis
"By taking a holistic approach to Earth Sciences my research program addresses how the tectonic and surface processes in active collision orogens interact to shape the physical evolution of the lithosphere at all spatial and temporal scales. The general premises of my research program are investigated through a combination of field, laboratory, and numerical experimental studies. Key questions of my current research program:
- Which processes drive syn-convergence exhumation of crustal eclogites?
- What are the interactions between the upper crustal deformation and mid crustal channel flow?
- How are the stresses transferred between the seismogenic and the ductily flowing crust?
- How do stresses propagate on the plate scale, from an incipient plate breakup area to a convergent boundary zone?
- Are there elements in the morphology of critical Coulomb wedges that can be related to spatio-temporal changes in precipitation rather than to the far- and near-field stresses?
Case studies are performed on several world-class field examples in the Himalaya-Tibet orogenic system and the central European Alps."
For prospective PhD students
Projects for prospective PhD students are offered in generic subjects covering the above research topics.
Interested candidates should secure their own scholarships for which they can apply at the following foundations:
- NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships
- Killam Pre-doctoral Scholarships
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
For details, eligibility and application procedure see details at the related web sites.
Please check also for the potential bilateral academic programs in your own country.