Associate Professor of Law
PO Box 15000 Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4R2
- Administrative law
- Human rights
- Mental health law
- BA (Toronto)
- MA (Columbia)
- LLB (Dalhousie)
- LLM (Toronto)
- LAWS 2000: Administrative Law
- LAWS 2087: General Jurisprudence
Selected awards & honours
- 2017- Nova Scotia Human Rights Award (Group Category, Bill 59 Alliance)
- 2006 - Dalhousie Student Union Award for Teaching Excellence in the Faculty of Law
- Sheila Wildeman, “Protecting Rights and Building Capacities: Challenges to Global Mental Health Policy in Light of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities” (2013) 41:1 JL Med & Ethics 48.
- Sheila Wildeman, Laura Dunn & Cheluchi Onyemelukwe, "Incapacity in Canada: Review of Laws and Policies for Research involving Decisionally Impaired Adults" (2013) 21:4 American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 314.
- Sheila Wildeman, “Pas de Deux: Deference and Non-Deference in Action” in C. Flood & L. Sossin, eds, Administrative Law in Context, 2nd ed (Toronto: Emond Montgomery, 2012).
- Sheila Wildeman et al, "Substitute Decision-Making about Research: Identifying the Legally Authorized Representative in Four Canadian Provinces" (2012) 6(1) McGill JL & Health 189.
- Joan Harbison et al, “Understanding ‘Elder Abuse and Neglect’: A Critique of Assumptions Underpinning Responses to the Mistreatment and Neglect of Older People” (2012) 24:2 Journal of Elder Abuse and Neglect 88.
- Sheila Wildeman, "Introduction to the Lectures of Supreme Court of Canada Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin and Nova Scotia Provincial Court Judge Anne Derrick: Law and mental health: A relationship in crisis?" (2010) 33 Dal LJ 1.
- Sheila Wildeman, “Insight Revisited: Relationality and Psychiatric Treatment Decision-Making Capacity” in J. Downie & J. Llewellyn, eds, Being Relational: Reflections on Relational Theory and Health Law (Vancouver: UBC Press, 2012).
- Gina Bravo et al, "Are Canadians Providing Advance Directives about Health Care and Research Participation in the Event of Decisional Incapacity?" (2011) 56(4) Canadian Journal of Psychiatry 209.
Service & activity
- Canadian Institute for the Administration of Justice, Administrative Tribunals Committee (2010-present)
- East Coast Prison Justice Society, Board of Directors (Sept 2018-present), Vice-Chair (Sept 2019-present)
- Canadian Mental Health Association - Nova Scotia Division, Board of Directors (2009-2016)