Associate Professor of Law, Associate Director, Health Law Institute
PO Box 15000 Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4R2
- Administrative law
- Human rights
- Mental health law
- BA (Toronto)
- MA (Columbia)
- LLB (Dalhousie)
- LLM (Toronto)
- LAWS 2000: Administrative Law
- LAWS 2087: General Jurisprudence
Selected awards & honours
- 2017- Nova Scotia Human Rights Award (Group Category, Bill 59 Alliance)
- 2006 - Dalhousie Student Union Award for Teaching Excellence in the Faculty of Law
- Sheila Wildeman, “Habeas Corpus Unbound” in Colleen M Flood & Paul Daly, eds, Administrative Law in Context, 4th ed (Toronto: Emond Publishing, 2021).
- Sheila Wildeman, “Disabling Solitary: An Anti-Carceral Critique of Canada’s Solitary Confinement Litigation” in The Legacies of Institutionalisation: Disability, Law and Policy in the ‘Deinstitutionalised’ Community, Claire Spivakovsky, Linda Steele and Penelope Weller, eds (Oxford: Hart, 2020).
- Rusi Stanev & Sheila Wildeman, “Freedom: A Work in Progress” in Eilionoir Flynn et al, eds, Global Perspectives on Legal Capacity Reform (Oxford: Routledge, 2019).
- Sheila Wildeman, “Making Sense of Reasonableness” in Colleen Flood & Lorne Sossin, eds., Administrative Law In Context, 3rd ed (Emond Montgomery, 2017).
- Sheila Wildeman, “Agonizing Identity in Mental Health Law and Policy (Part II): A Political Taxonomy of Psychiatric Subjectification” (2016) 39:1 Dalhousie Law Journal 147.
- Sheila Wildeman, “Consent to psychiatric treatment: From insight (into illness) to incite (a riot)” in Colleen Flood & Jennifer Chandler, eds, Law and Mind: Mental Health Law and Policy in Canada (Toronto: LexisNexis, 2016).
- Sheila Wildeman, “Agonizing Identity in Mental Health Law and Policy (Part I)” Dalhousie Law Journal (2015) 38 DLJ 619.
- Richard Devlin and Sheila Wildeman (eds), Disciplining Judges: Contemporary Challenges and Controversies (Cheltenham, Elgar: 2021).
Service & activity
- Canadian Institute for the Administration of Justice, Administrative Tribunals Committee (2010-present)
- East Coast Prison Justice Society, Board of Directors (Sept 2018-present), Vice-Chair (Sept 2019-present)
- Canadian Mental Health Association - Nova Scotia Division, Board of Directors (2009-2016)