Robert J. Currie, KC
Professor of Law; Distinguished Research Professor
PO Box 15000 Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4R2
- Transnational criminal law
- International criminal law
- Social media law
- International litigation
- International law
- Civil procedure
- Criminal law
- BA Hons (St FX)
- MA (Carleton)
- LLB (Dalhousie)
- LLM (Edinburgh)
- Nova Scotia, 2000
- International Law (LAWS 2012)
- Evidence (LAWS 2008)
- Jessup Moot (LAWS 2103)
- International Criminal Law (LAWS 2197)
- Comparative Criminal Law, (LAWS 2009)
Professor Currie is a specialist in the area of international and transnational criminal law, and he teaches a seminar course in this subject. His 2010 book, International and Transnational Criminal Law, was shortlisted for the Walter Owen Book Prize for Outstanding Legal Literature in 2011. He has authored and co-authored numerous articles and comments in this field and his work is regularly cited by Canadian courts, including the Supreme Court of Canada.
Selected awards & honours
- 2008 - Dalhousie Law Students’ Society and Alumni Association Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Robert J. Currie, “Wrongful Extradition: Reforming the Committal Phase of Canada’s Extradition Law” (2021) 44:6 Manitoba Law Journal 1
- Robert J Currie & Joseph Rikhof, International & Transnational Criminal Law, 3rd ed (Toronto: Irwin, 2020)
- Robert J. Currie, “Extradition” in Joel E. Pink & David C. Perrier, eds, From Crime to Punishment, 9th ed (Toronto: Carswell, 2020)
- Robert J. Currie, “Cross-Border Evidence Gathering in Transnational Crime Cases: Is the Microsoft Ireland Case the ‘Next Frontier’?”  54 Canadian Yearbook of International Law 63
- Robert J. Currie, “Electronic Devices at the Border: The Next Frontier of Canadian Search and Seizure Law?” (2016) 14 Canadian Journal of Law & Technology 289
- Robert J. Currie & N. Boister, eds, Routledge Handbook of Transnational Criminal Law (London: Routledge, 2015).
- S. Coughlan et al, Law Beyond Borders: Extraterritorial Jurisdiction in an Age of Globalization (Toronto: Irwin, 2014).
- Robert J. Currie, "The Evolution of the Law of Evidence: Plus Ça Change…?” (2011) 15 Can Crim L Rev 213.
- Robert J. Currie & T. Scassa, "New First Principles? Assessing the Internet’s Challenges to Jurisdiction” (2011) 42 Geo J Int'l L 1017.
Service & activity
- Coach of the Schulich School of Law’s Jessup Moot team
- Director of the Law and Technology Institute 2010-2017
- Member, Board of Directors, International Society for the Reform of Criminal Law (ISRCL)
- Faculty Associate of the Marine and Environmental Law Institute
- Member of the Faculty for the Federation of Law Societies’ National Criminal Law Program
- Vice-President and a Commissioner of the Law Reform Commission of Nova Scotia
- Member of the Executive Board of the Canadian Council on International Law (CCIL)