Assistant Professor of Law
6061 University Avenue
PO Box 15000
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4R2
- Prison Law & Prisoners’ Rights
- Criminal Law & Criminal Justice
- Charter Rights
- LLB (Romania)
- LLB Accreditation (Canadian Federation of Law Societies, NCA)
- LLM (Queen's)
- PhD (Queen's)
Areas of supervision: Criminal Justice, Sentencing, Prison Law
My research is highly interdisciplinary and aims at answering questions arising in the area of criminal justice by utilizing empirical social science (both quantitative and qualitative), as well as legal comparative, feminist, and doctrinal methodologies. My biggest project to date, looking into the aging of the federal prison population and its legal consequences, is currently under publication, as a monograph, with University of Toronto Press. My current and upcoming major research projects investigate issues surrounding the sentencing of older individuals and historic crimes, reform of parole boards in Canada, and the identification of the civil legal needs of prisoners. The direction for my research is often inspired by the students I work with, as well as by the stories of the incarcerated individuals I encounter, both as a researcher and as a prison volunteer.
Selected awards & honours
- 2015-17: Post-doctoral Fellowship, Social Science and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), Canada
- 2012-15: Armand Bombardier Canadian Scholarship, Social Science and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), Canada
- 2011: Ontario Graduate Scholarship, Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS)
- 2010-11: Law Foundation Grant, Queen’s University, Faculty of Law
- 2010: Queen’s Graduate Award, Queen’s University, School of Graduate Studies
- Adelina Iftene, Punishment for Aging: Older Federal Prisoners and the Challenge to the Canadian Correctional and Legal Landscape (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, expected 2018)
- Adelina Iftene, "The Case for a New Compassionate Release Statutory Provision" (2017) 54:4 Alta L Rev 929.
- Adelina Iftene, "The Pains of Incarceration: Aging, Rights, and Policy in Federal Penitentiaries" (2017) 59:1 Canadian Journal of Criminology and Criminal Justice.
- Adelina Iftene, "Unlocking the Doors to Canadian Older Inmate Mental Health Data: Rates and Potential Legal Responses" (2016) 47 International Journal of Law and Psychiatry 36.
- Adelina Iftene, "The Hart of the (Mr.) Big Problem" (2016) 63 Criminal Law Quarterly 151.
- Adelina Iftene, Lynne Hansen & Allan Manson, "Tort Claims and Canadian Prisoners" (2014) 39:2 Queen’s Law Journal 655.
- Adelina Iftene & Allan Manson, "Recent Crime Legislation: The Challenge for Prison Health Care" (2012) 185:10 Canadian Medical Association Journal, doi: 10.1503/cmaj.120222.
- Adelina Iftene & Nicolae Pasca, "The Religious Foundations of the Protection of the Right to Life" (2011) 8:6 US-China Law Review 511.
Service & activity
- 2017 - present: Secretary, Board of Directors, Canadian Association of Prison Lawyers
- 2017 - present: Secretary, Faculty Council, Schulich School of Law
- 2017 - present: Member of the Prison Law Advisory Committee, Legal Aid Ontario
- 2016 - present: Prison book club facilitator, Book Club for Inmates
- 2016 - present: Member, Canadian Law and Society Association