Diversity and Equity Committee
The School of Social Work’s Diversity and Equity Committee (DEC) is committed to furthering the School’s commitment to social justice by fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion. Specifically, the DEC is responsible for:
- Publicizing the School's programs for the purpose of recruiting students according to the School’s Affirmative Action Policy
- Exploring and suggesting solutions concerning problems and issues associated with the School's policy of affirmative action (both on and off campus);
- Maintaining liaison with other school committees (by providing DEC representatives) to promote the interests of the members of designated groups;
- Assisting in admissions procedures for designated applicants;
- Promoting knowledge of affirmative action concerns within the School;
- Developing means of implementing the School's policy with respect to designated groups, and to take responsibility for operationalizing these when provided with adequate resources (e.g. educational supports for students, special projects, workshops and materials).
The membership of the DEC is comprised of :
- Two faculty members, one serving as Chair;
- Three students, including students from the designated groups;
- Two alumni working in the community, with preference given to graduates who are members of designated groups.
- Representatives from designated groups when available.
Currently, the School has three policies related to diversity and equity, the Accessibility and Accommodations Policy, the Affirmative Action Policy, and the Affirmative Action Policy for Aboriginal Students. The DEC is working on developing other policies, and this site will be updated as they become available.
For more information on the DEC and its policies, please contact Sara Torres.
To contact the Accommodations Officer, please contact Jeff Karabanow.