School of Nursing News» Go to news main
JBI Comprehensive Systematic Review Training Workshop, May 6‑10
Aligning Health Needs and Evidence for Transformative Change (AH-NET-C): A Joanna Briggs Institute Centre of Excellence JBI Comprehensive Systematic Review Training Workshop
May 6 – 10, 2019
Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Aligning Health Needs and Evidence for Transformative Change (AH-NET-C): A Joanna Briggs Institute Centre of Excellence offers comprehensive systematic review training (CSRT) featuring the Joanna Briggs Institute methodology for evidence synthesis. The intensive, 5-day workshop is designed to prepare health sciences researchers, clinicians, librarians, graduate students and other individuals involved in quality and practice portfolios to develop, conduct and report systematic reviews of evidence. Certified reviewers may become authorized reviewers in the Institute’s peer reviewed journal, the JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports (JBISRIR), which is indexed in Embase, Scopus, Mosby’s Index (Elsevier), CINAHL (EBSCO) and Medline.
This activity-driven program includes rigorous methods and tools to appraise and synthesize evidence from research literature and documentary sources. Participants gain hands-on experience in drafting a systematic review protocol, including definition of the question(s) and search, retrieval, and selection of research for the review. You will critically analyze sample quantitative and qualitative research and expert opinion papers as part of the review process and be introduced to JBI software for performing metaanalysis and meta-synthesis of selected studies. You will also examine the nature of evidence and its role in healthcare to further understand how evidence transfers into health care practice.
* Course will be offered based on a minimum number of attendees. Payment is required before registration can be confirmed. Class size is limited. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
• Module 1: Introduction to Evidence-Based Healthcare
• Module 2: The Systematic Review of Evidence Generated through Quantitative Research
• Module 3: The Systematic Review of Evidence Generated by Qualitative Research, Narrative and Text
Participants learn to:
• Use JBI software tools to draft a systematic review protocol, including identifying a question, searching, retrieving and selecting research for the review
• Critically appraise sample quantitative and qualitative research and text and opinion as part of the review process
• Use JBI software to perform a meta-analysis and meta-synthesis of selected studies
• Overview of Knowledge to Action
• Overview of Evidence Based Practice
• Designing Protocols for Systematic Review
• Systematic Review of Quantitative Evidence
• Systematic Review of Qualitative Evidence
• Systematic Review of Text and Opinion
AH-NET-C JBI Certified Instructors
• Janet Curran, RN, PhD, Associate Professor, AH-NET-C, Co-Director
• Erna Snelgrove-Clarke, RN, PhD, Associate Professor
Full 5-day attendance is required to obtain JBI Reviewer certification. Participants present review protocols on the final day of class. Graduates receive a one-year SUMARI license. Students of a JBI Collaborating Centre and conducting a systematic review as part of their studies receive a maximum three year SUMARI license. JBI Certification is included in the cost of the program.
Materials and Technical Requirements:
The Joanna Briggs Institute has recently released the latest version of their software SUMARI. A 5 day agenda will be emailed in advance of the training. Upon arrival, all course materials will be provided on a USB. Participants will require a laptop (PC or Mac) to participate.
Application and Payment:
The participant fee is $1500 (CDN) + HST ($225) which includes 5 days instruction, JBI Certification, access/license to the JBI software, course materials, lunch and refreshment breaks. Attendees are responsible for their accommodation, transportation and parking.
1. All applicants must complete the CSRT Application Form [117kb pdf] and email it to email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Payment in full (by cheque or journal entry) is due by 1 April 2019 to confirm a seat in the program. At this point in time we are accepting registrant names as a commitment to attend.
• HST (15%) is applied to the fee making total $1,725 (CDN funds). Please note: Payment is nonrefundable
for cancellations received within two weeks of scheduled program.
• Graduate students should first consult their faculty advisor/supervisor re: registration and payment arrangements.
Accommodation and Meals:
Morning coffee & pastries, daily lunch and refreshment breaks are included in the cost of the program. Breakfast and dinner are at participant expense. Please notify AH-NET-C when registering of any dietary restrictions; this information can be provided on the CSRT Application form.
Information about what to see or where to eat in Halifax can be found here
Dalhousie has preferred rates at the following hotels (prices are based on availability and subject to change):
The Lord Nelson
Jan 1 – Apr 30 & Nov 1 – Dec 30 $119 + tax May 1 – Oct 31 $155 + tax
Jan 1 – Apr 30 & Nov 1 – Dec 30 $ = $115 + tax May 1 – Oct 31 = $142 + tax
Jan 1 – Apr 30 & Nov 1 – Dec 30 $ + tax = $136 + tax May 1 – Oct 31 $ + tax = $156 + tax
Jan 1 – Apr 30 & Nov 1 – Dec 30 $139 +tax May 1 – Oct 31 $159 + tax
The most convenient place for short term parking in Halifax is at our Pay and Display Lot on South Street called LeMarchant Place. Rates are $2 per hour to a maximum of $20 per day. It is not possible to pay for partial hours.
- SON, Nunavut Arctic College celebrate their 20‑year successful, collaborative partnership
- SON 2019 Scholarships, Recipients of the Nursing R&D Grants
- Updates from Yarmouth Campus
- Dr. Ruth Martin‑Misener has been appointed Director, School of Nursing 2019‑2024
- Nova Scotia Nursing faculty visit the Nurse of the Mediterranean
- 2019 Nursing Awards Celebration
- Nova Scotia Integrated Health Research and Innovation Strategy with Dean Kozey
- JBI Comprehensive Systematic Review Training Workshop, May 6‑10