Getting set up

Set yourself up at FCS


All students, faculty, and staff are automatically assigned a username and password to access the systems run within the Faculty. This account is referred to as your CSID.

You can find your username or change your password via the respective tools.

Email address

All email services within the university are through Microsoft Office 365. Email can be checked via the MyDal portal.

All students already possessing an (pre-2013) email will continue to receive emails sent to this address, automatically forwarding to the corresponding address. Students enrolling after Fall 2013 will not receive an email address.

Setting a vacation responder in Office 365 email

To forward Office 365 email to another address follow these steps:

1. Login to the myDal portal.
2. Open the Applciation menu at the upper left and select Mail.
3. Click the gear icon at the upper right and select Automatic replies.
4. Click the "Send automatic replies" radio button and the "Send replies only during this time period" checkbox.
5. Set the start and end times for your automatic reply.
6. Enter a reply message in the text box. By default this reply is sent only to users inside Dalhousie.
7. If you wish to send an automatic reply to people outside Dalhousie, check the "Send automatic reply messages to senders outside my organization".
8. Click OK at the top of the Automatic replies window.
9. Click the user icon at the upper right and select Sign out from the drop down menu.

IMAP access for Office365 email

IMAP access is enabled for email, but does not support the calendaring, contacts, tasks, or notes services. IMAP will allow the use of clients such as Mozilla Thunderbird to be used to send and receive email. The Outlook Web App or one of the above recommended clients will have to be used to access the other Office 365 services.

The required settings for accessing Office 365 email via IMAP are:

  Incoming (IMAP) Outgoing (SMTP)
Port 993 587
Encryption SSL TLS
Authentication and password

Legacy email servers

Legacy email service can be reach at:

Access Cards, Desk and PED Assignments

Computer science students seeking access cards for entrance to secured study & research areas and/or desk & ped assignment should see the front reception desk, in the Goldberg Computer Science Building, for assistance.

Setup your Printer Drivers

First, search for and open "Devices and Printers" on your computer. Select "Add a printer" near the top of the page.

Next click "The printer that I want isn't listed" near the bottom.

Select the "Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname" option, then click "Next".

In the "Hostname or IP address" textbox, enter: Then uncheck the "Query this pinter and automatically select the driver to use" and press "Next".

Wait a couple minutes for the computer to find the printer.

When the page titled "Additional port information required" appears, select the "Custom" option at the bottom of the page, then click "Settings..." next to it.

A new window will open. Under the "Protocol" box, select the "LPR" option. Then, under the "LPR Settings" box, enter in the "Queue Name" textbox the name of the printer you wish to add. Then, in the same box, check the "LPR Byte Counting Enabled" checkbox, and click "Ok" at the bottom of the window.

Now, in your previous window, click "Next".

On the next page, select the Manufacturer and Printer name of the printer you are adding (a list of printers with their names can be found at Most of the printers in the CS building are HP LaserJet printers (drivers can be found on the \\subzero\servappdc1 network directory or from the helpdesk USB driver stick). If the printer name isn't in the list, select the name closest to the name of the printer. When finished, click "Next".

On the next page, enter the name of the printer once again, then click "Next".

Wait for the printer to be installed on your computer.

In the next page, select the "Do not share this printer" option, then click "Next".

If you wish, you may set it as your default printer. Finally, click "Finish".

Registering Your Computer To The Print System

1. First visit  . Click on the "Link your machine to your username" link at the top of the page.

2. If asked, enter your CSID and password, and click "Login".

3. At the next page, uncheck the "Temporary" checkbox, then click "Register Computer"

                      > Next: Academic advising & resources