News» Go to news main
Congratulations Dr. Liesl Gambold‑Winner Canadian Anthropological Society Award for Teaching Excellence
SOSA's Liesl Gambold, a recent winner of the FASS teaching award, now also has won the Canadian Anthropological Society (CASCA) Award for Teaching Excellence and Featured in Dal News.
In her letter of congratulations, CASCA President Emma Varley noted:
“Your commitment to the field of anthropology is evident from the opening vignette of making a connection with others through sign language, to the incredible mentorship and inter-disciplinary work you have undertaken as a professor. You have a keen sense of how to meet students where they are and encourage their resilience as young scholars, be it through relationships to students, delivering course material through technological avenues that resonate with students, or innovative events to encourage them to see that the journey is as important as the destination.
“One committee member was particularly struck by the fact that you explicitly focus on what is "imperative" rather than what is innovative, and eschew innovation for its own sake. It is clear that this is a key to your success as a teacher, and the more we can recognize this kind of work and amplify voices like yours in anthropology and in the academy more broadly, the better.”
Congratulations on this recognition of all your great work on students’ behalf, Liesl. SOSA is very proud of you.
- Congratulations to Dr. Michael Halpin for being Awarded a President’s Research Excellence Award for Emerging Investigators
- Social Anthropology PhD Candidate Gerald Gloade's work published by the Impact Assessment Agency of Canada
- Congratulations Dr. Brian Noble for being awarded a Fulbright Canada Research Chair in Social Sciences at the University of Hawai’i, Manoa!
- Deepest Condolences on the Passing of Dr. James (Jim) Stolzman
- Congratulations to Professor Afua Cooper, Awarded an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Ottawa
- Sincere Condolences on the Passing of Wade Pfaff, MA Social Anthropology
- Jean‑Sébastien Guy: Work and Legacy / Travail et l’héritage intellectuel
- Congratulations to SOSA Graduand Prize Winners at the 2023 Convocation: Bridgette Norwood, Althea Pilapil and Beau Block