Award FAQs

Entrance Awards

My award is for first year only. What funding opportunities are available after first year?


Halifax Campus students: You are automatically considered for Dalhousie In-Course Scholarships each year if you do not currently hold a renewable scholarship. To be eligible, you must have completed a full course load over two terms (minimum 30 credit hours) within the previous academic year (excluding transfer credits). Award amounts vary each year.

A small number of in-course awards require application. Learn more here.

Agricultural Campus students: All students enrolled in any program in the Faculty of Agriculture are encouraged to apply to the Faculty of Agriculture In-Course Award program in September of each year. Check here for more details.


Dalhousie University's Bursary program provides funds to assist students in financial need. Bursaries are typically smaller amounts of money (from $200-$600), intended to supplement other funding sources. Students can apply for bursaries in each term they are registered in at least 6 credit hours. Deadlines and more information online here.   

Many academic departments also award scholarships.  In some cases, applications are required. You can find additional information through your Faculty/School/Department directly.

If my final grades are higher than when I applied for admission, will my award offer increase?

If you have received a non-renewable entrance scholarship and your final grades are higher than those we used for your initial scholarship assessment, you may request a review by submitting an official final transcript to the Registrar’s Office and emailing the Awards Office ( before July 30. 

I have been granted deferred admission. Can I also defer my entrance award?

Awards deferral requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and take into consideration the type of award and deferral circumstances. Please email with the subject line “Entrance Award Deferral Request” and include a detailed explanation of the reason you are deferring admission, the term to which you are deferring, and a description of your planned activities prior to beginning your studies.


Renewable Awards  

I have been awarded a renewable award. What are the requirements for renewal?

Please review your offer letter carefully. If you have been offered a renewable award, the renewal criteria is clearly defined in your letter and you should keep a copy for your records. If you were admitted for Fall 2020 onwards, your renewal criteria can be found in Dal Online under Awards & Financial Aid, and then select View My Student Aid.

A. Scholarship Grade Point Average (SGPA)
Unless otherwise noted in your letter of offer, a minimum Scholarship Grade Point Average (SGPA) of 3.70 is required in order to maintain a renewable scholarship. The SGPA does not appear on your transcript, but represents the average you have achieved over all the courses you have completed in the fall and winter terms (or summer term for co-op students) which are used for your scholarship assessment.

B. Credit Hours
Unless otherwise noted in your letter of offer, the specified SGPA must be achieved while completing a full course load over two terms (30 credit hours for degree students, 20 credit hours for technology students) within the previous academic year. Transfer credits are not counted towards the credit hour requirement for scholarship assessment.

Co-op students who complete one work term during the year must also complete a full course load over the two remaining academic terms (fall, winter or summer) to be eligible. Those who complete two work terms within the academic year must complete a minimum of 15 credit hours during their one academic term.

If you meet renewal requirements, you can receive your renewable scholarship for up to an additional three years of undergraduate study.  If you do not meet the requirements to renew, you will not be eligible to receive your scholarship for one year.  In some cases, you can earn the scholarship back in subsequent years if your SGPA and/or courseload returns to the required level within the three years that you are eligible to renew.

How does Co-op impact my renewal criteria?

Renewal Criteria

I am completing one work term during the academic year:

You must complete your required credit hours and achieve your SGPA over two terms (fall, winter or summer). You are not permitted to complete one work term and only one academic term; you must complete two academic terms as per your renewal criteria.

I am completing two work terms during the academic year:

You are required to complete half of your minimum required credit hours in one academic term. You must attain your required SGPA in that one term. For example, if your criteria state you must complete 30 credit hours over two academic terms and attain a 3.7 SGPA, when you are completing two work terms in a year you would be required to complete 15 credit hours in one academic term and attain a 3.7 term GPA.

Receiving your funding

Awards are applied to your student account in fall and winter each year. If you are on co-op during fall or winter, your award will still be applied to your student account. The funding can go toward future fees, or you can contact Student Accounts to request a refund.

Length of study

The large majority of our renewable awards are offered on a four-year schedule. If co-op extends your period of study into a fifth year, you will not be eligible for a renewal in that year. After your fourth year of study (and final year of your renewable award), you will be assessed for an in-course scholarship. If eligible, you will receive this award in your fifth year.

I have applied to Nursing. How does this impact my renewable award?

If you are entering Nursing directly from high school, you will study for a total of three academic years. Most of our renewable awards are offered on a four year schedule. If you receive or confirm an offer to Nursing after you have already received a renewable award offer, contact the Awards Office to make sure your total award amount is distributed over three years instead of four.

When are grades assessed for award renewals and in-course scholarships?

The academic year consists of three terms: fall, winter, and summer. Scholarship renewals (both campuses) and in-course scholarships (Halifax campus) are assessed in July, based on the previous year's SGPA. Co-op students who are completing a work term during the fall and/or winter term(s) are assessed at the end of the summer term.


Awards and Registration

What are the registration requirements for my award?

You must remain registered in an eligible undergraduate degree/diploma program offered in the Faculties of Agriculture, Architecture & Planning, Arts & Social Sciences, Computer Science, Engineering, Health, Management or Science, or in the School of Dental Hygiene.

In order to receive your scholarship, you must register as a full-time student (minimum 9 credit hours per term for degree students and 6 credit hours per term for technology students) at Dalhousie University for the term(s) in which the scholarship is awarded. Students registered at King's College are not eligible for Dalhousie scholarships.

Even though you may have already earned your renewal, you must still register as a full-time student in order to receive your funding.

What if I decide to change my faculty or my program?

If you decide to change your faculty or program after you have been awarded your scholarship, contact the Awards and Financial Aid Office so we can review your options with you as your scholarship amount may change.

May I take fewer classes and still keep my award?

You must remain registered as a full-time student to be eligible to keep your scholarship. Consideration for in-course scholarships requires that you complete 30 credit hours over two terms within the academic year between September 1 and August 31. If you hold a renewable scholarship, check your scholarship letter of offer for your renewal criteria before dropping classes.

What if I have to reduce my courseload or withdraw from university for some reason?

If you reduce your courseload below full-time status or withdraw from the university, these funds are expected to be returned. Depending on the time of your course load reduction or withdrawal you may be entitled to retain a portion of your award. Contact the Awards and Financial Aid Office prior to dropping classes or withdrawing to review your situation.

How do letter of permission or audited classes affect awards?

Completing more than one class per term on a letter of permission at another institution will result in you being ineligible for in-course scholarship consideration or the renewal of your current scholarship. This does not apply to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Science (Nursing) program in Yarmouth, Costume Studies students taking courses at NSCAD, and students on Dalhousie-approved exchange programs.

Audited courses are not counted when determining courseload requirements for award purposes.

What happens if I participate in an academic exchange program?

You may be eligible to receive your scholarship while participating in a Dalhousie-approved exchange program. Award holders who plan to study abroad should contact the Awards and Financial Aid Office before departure to discuss their funding schedule.


How and When: Award Logistics

How and when do I receive my award money?

Your award will be credited to your student account in two equal installments (mid-August and mid-December), provided you are registered full-time. If there is money left over from your scholarship after your fees are paid, you can request a refund from Student Accounts after the last day to add classes each term. If you know that a rebate will be coming but you have a more urgent need (ie - textbooks) consider applying for a Temporary Loan.

Is my Dalhousie award recorded on my transcript?

All undergraduate awards (excluding bursaries) are listed on your transcript. The name of your award may change to reflect the name of a donor to the University. In this case, you will be notified by email. The year of record will reflect the end of the academic year in which the award is tenable. For example, an award for the 2020 – 2021 academic year will be recorded as 2021.

What if I graduate earlier than planned?

Graduation constitutes completion of a program. If you hold a renewable award and choose to graduate earlier than planned, and then you decide to return for an honours certificate or advanced major certificate, you will have forfeited your renewable award and will not be assessed for in-course scholarships.

Should I keep my award documentation?

You should keep all award documentation you receive, and bring copies with you if you are moving to attend Dalhousie. If you've lost your offer letter, email the Awards and Financial Aid Office for a replacement.

Who will be notified of my award?

If you have received an entrance award, your high school may be sent a list of entrance scholarships offered to their students. Your scholarship(s) will be included unless you specified on your application for admission that you did not wish to participate. High schools are not notified of entrance bursaries. Your name, hometown, and program of study will be provided to the donors of your awards to encourage continued support of the awards program. We are required to report awards to the appropriate provincial student aid authority and to the federal government for income tax purposes for all recipients.

Do I have to pay taxes on my award?

Normally, a student's exemptions are sufficiently high so that you do not pay taxes. You will be issued a T4A form in late February, which will cover all monetary awards awarded during the previous tax year. This is a condition of accepting awards. Ensure that we have your Social Insurance Number for tax purposes.


Contact the Awards Office:

(902) 494-2122