Each year, all public sector organizations in Nova Scotia are required to publicly report the names and salaries of all employees whose compensation (salary, benefits and pension) exceeds $100,000. The report is for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2021.
Dalhousie’s report for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2021 is now available to view on the Government of Nova Scotia’s website.
See the full report: Dalhousie University Public Sector Compensation Disclosure 2021
Details of the report
There are 1,108 Dalhousie faculty and administrative staff whose compensation totaled $100,000 or more in 2020-2021, an increase of 42 individuals over last year’s report. Of these, 923 (83.3%) are faculty, while the remaining 185 (16.7%) are administrators or senior university staff (with no academic affiliation).
Salaries at the University generally increase each year, as the University’s collective agreements and contracts are designed to take cost-of-living increases into account. Given the COVID-19 pandemic and the fiscal restraints that were necessary, senior administrators’ salaries were frozen in 2020, and no increase will be applied for this time period.
In 2021, new collective agreements were reached with Dalhousie Faculty Association (DFA) and the Nova Scotia Government and General Employees Union (NSGEU) Local 77, which resulted in a one percent salary increase effective July 1, 2020, and 1.25 percent effective July 1, 2021, for both employee groups. Non-unionized employees (DPMG, etc.) were given the same salary adjustments in June 2021.
“We are one of the largest employers in Atlantic Canada and enrolment is growing. We have more employees on the list due to our sheer size,” says Gitta Kulczycki, vice-president, finance and administration.
“In order to attract and retain the best people as outlined in our new Strategic Plan, Third-Century Promise, we remain committed to offering competitive salaries that reflect employees’ contributions to the university and compare well with other universities,” adds Kulczycki. “We are the only U-15 leading research-intensive university in Atlantic Canada and we often need to recruit for researchers, faculty and staff across North America and internationally.”
President Deep Saini received compensation this year of $492,001. The president’s salary increases each year based on the review and recommendations of the Board of Governors. Dr. Saini’s contract is public and is available on our website.
How Dal compares
According to Statistics Canada data for 2019/2020 (the latest year comparative data is available) the average salary of full-time teaching staff in Canada was $132,586. Dalhousie’s average salary for full-time teaching staff (including deans and medical/dental faculty) sits at $141,343. Dalhousie benchmarks its academic salaries against a group of comparator research-intensive universities across Canada to ensure its salaries are competitive to continue to recruit and retain excellent faculty.
The most current data available from the Canadian Association of University Business Officers (CAUBO) for 2018- 2019 show Dalhousie’s administrative spending at 6.4 per cent of total expenses. Among the U15 group of universities, Dalhousie’s administrative costs are the second lowest.
For more information on the Nova Scotia Public Sector Compensation Disclosure Act, visit the Government of Nova Scotia’s website.
Comments are closed on this article.