Arthur B. McDonald Research Chair (CRC Tier-I equivalent) and the Alexander McLeod Professor of Chemistry
6274 Coburg Road
P.O. Box 15000
Halifax NS B3H 4R2
- Inorganic chemistry
- Organic chemistry
- Transition metals
- Ligand design
- BSc, McMaster University
- PhD, McMaster University
- PDF, University of California at Berkeley
Our research efforts are directed toward developing new classes of ancillary ligands (including now-commercialized ‘DalPhos’ ligands) and derived transition metal complexes that exhibit interesting and unusual reactivity, with the goal of incorporating such reactivity into useful catalytic substrate transformations.
Selected awards & honours
- Arthur B. McDonald Research Chair (CRC Tier-I equivalent, 2020)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (2017)
- Alexander McLeod Professor of Chemistry (2013-present)
- Canadian Society for Chemistry Strem Chemicals Award for Pure or Applied Inorganic Chemistry, 2012
- Faculty of Science Killam Professorship, 2011-2016
- Synlett/Synthesis Promising Young Professor Journal Awardee, 2009
- Harry Shirreff Prize for Excellence in Research in Chemistry, 2006-2008
- "Ligand-Enabled Nickel-Catalyzed Cross-Coupling of Primary and Secondary Sulfonamides With (Hetero)aryl Chlorides." R. T. McGuire, C. M. Simon, A. A. Yadav, M. J. Ferguson, and Mark Stradiotto* (Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2020, 59, 8952-8956).
- "PAd2-DalPhos Enables the Nickel-Catalyzed C-N Cross-Coupling of Primary Heteroarylamines and (Hetero)aryl Chlorides" J. S. K. Clark, M. J. Ferguson, R. McDonald, and Mark Stradiotto* (Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2019, 58, 6391-6395).
- "PhPAd-DalPhos: Ligand-Enabled, Nickel-Catalyzed Cross-Coupling of (Hetero)aryl Electrophiles with Bulky Primary Alkylamines" J. P. Tassone, E. V. England, P. M. MacQueen, M. J. Ferguson, and Mark Stradiotto* (Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2019, 58, 2485-2489).
- "Exploiting Ancillary Ligation to Enable Nickel-Catalyzed C-O Cross-Couplings of Aryl Electrophiles with Aliphatic Alcohols" P. M. MacQueen, J. P. Tassone, C. Diaz, and Mark Stradiotto* (J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2018, 140, 5023-5027).
- "Challenging Nickel-Catalyzed Amine Arylations Enabled by Tailored Ancillary Ligand Design" C. M. Lavoie, P. M. MacQueen, N. L. Rotta-Loria, R. S. Sawatzky, A. Borzenko, A. J. Chisholm, B. K. V. Hargreaves, R. McDonald, M. J. Ferguson and Mark Stradiotto* (Nature Comm. 2016, 7, 11073; doi: 10.1038/ncomms11073).