Alexander McLeod Professor of Chemistry
6274 Coburg Road
P.O. Box 15000
Halifax NS B3H 4R2
- Inorganic chemistry
- Organic chemistry
- Transition metals
- Ligand design
- BSc, McMaster University
- PhD, McMaster University
- PDF, University of California at Berkeley
Our research efforts are directed toward developing new classes of ancillary ligands (including now-commercialized ‘DalPhos’ ligands) and derived transition metal complexes that exhibit interesting and unusual reactivity, with the goal of incorporating such reactivity into useful catalytic substrate transformations.
Selected awards & honours
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (2017)
- Alexander McLeod Professor of Chemistry (2013-present)
- Canadian Society for Chemistry Strem Chemicals Award for Pure or Applied Inorganic Chemistry, 2012
- Faculty of Science Killam Professorship, 2011-2016
- Synlett/Synthesis Promising Young Professor Journal Awardee, 2009
- Harry Shirreff Prize for Excellence in Research in Chemistry, 2006-2008
- "Nickel-Catalyzed N-Arylation of Cyclopropylamine and Related Ammonium Salts with (Hetero)aryl (Pseudo)halides at Room Temperature" J. P. Tassone, P. M. MacQueen, C. M. Lavoie, M. J. Ferguson, R. McDonald and Mark Stradiotto* (ACS Catal., 2017, 7, 6048−6059).
- "Dehydrogenative B-H/C(sp3)-H Benzylic Borylation Within the Coordination Sphere of Platinum(II)" C. M. Kelly, J. T. Fuller, III, C. M. Macaulay, R. McDonald, M. J. Ferguson, S. M. Bischof, O. L. Sydora,* D. H. Ess,* Mark Stradiotto* and L. Turculet* (Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2017, 56, 6312-6316).
- "Challenging Nickel-Catalyzed Amine Arylations Enabled by Tailored Ancillary Ligand Design" C. M. Lavoie, P. M. MacQueen, N. L. Rotta-Loria, R. S. Sawatzky, A. Borzenko, A. J. Chisholm, B. K. V. Hargreaves, R. McDonald, M. J. Ferguson and Mark Stradiotto* (Nature Comm. 2016, 7, 11073).
- "Synthesis and Reactivity of a Neutral, Three-Coordinate Platinum(II) Complex Featuring Terminal Amido Ligation" C. M. Kelly, D.-H. Kwon, M. J. Ferguson, S. M. Bischof, O. L. Sydora,* D. H. Ess,* Mark Stradiotto* and L. Turculet* (Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2015, 54, 14498-14502).
- "Nickel-Catalyzed Monoarylation of Ammonia" A. Borzenko, N. L. Rotta-Loria, P. M. MacQueen, C. M. Lavoie, R. McDonald and Mark Stradiotto* (Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2015, 54, 3773-3777).