Mark N. Obrovac
Professor; NSERC/3M Canada Ltd. Industrial Research Chair in Battery Materials
- Materials for energy storage
- Materials Synthesis
- Advanced Li-ion battery materials
- Metal-ion batteries
- Magnesium batteries
- Sodium ion batteries
- BSc, Simon Fraser University
- MSc, Dalhousie University
- PhD, Dalhousie University
- PDF, Cornell University
We develop nanostructured alloy materials for high energy density Li-ion batteries and practical battery chemistries based on low-cost and abundant materials, such as sodium and magnesium. This includes the synthesis and characterization of new intercalation materials, nanostructured compounds, amorphous metal alloys and non-aqueous electrolytes for use in advanced batteries.
Selected awards and honours
- Harry Shirreff Prize for Excellence in Research in Chemistry (2014)
- 3M Corporate Level Circle of Technical Excellence and Innovation Award (2006)
- 3M Division Level Circle of Technical Excellence and Innovation Award (2006)
- 3M Division Level Circle of Technical Excellence and Innovation Award (2005)
- Leyi Zhao, Xiuyun Zhao, L. Burke, C. Bennett, R.A. Dunlap, M.N. Obrovac, Voronoi Tessellated Graphite Produced by Low Temperature Catalytic Graphitization of Renewable Hard Carbon, ChemSusChem., 10 (2017) 1-10.
- Lituo Zheng, Jierui Li and M.N. Obrovac, Crystal Structures and Electrochemical Performance of Air-Stable Na2/3Ni1/3–xCuxMn2/3O2 in Sodium Cells, Chem. Mater., (2017) 1623–1631.
- Yukun Wang*, Simeng Cao, Mariya Kalinina, Lituo Zheng, Linjun Li, Min Zhu and M.N. Obrovac, Lithium Insertion in Nanostructured Si1-xTix Alloys, J. Electrochem. Soc., 164 (2017) A3006-A3010.
- T.D. hatchard, A. Genkin and M.N. Obrovac, Rapid Mechanochemical Synthesis of Amorphous Alloys, AIP Advances, 7 (2017) 045201.
- M.N. Obrovac* and V.L. Chevrier, Alloy Negative Electrodes for Li-Ion Batteries, Chem. Rev. 114 (2014) 11444.