Hugh M Kindred
Professor Emeritus of Law
PO Box 15000 Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4R2
- International law
- Maritime law
- LLB (Bristol)
- LLM (London)
- LLM (Illinois)
- Lincoln's Inn, England, 1968
- Nova Scotia, 1987
Professor Kindred taught Public International Law, International Trade Law, Maritime Law, Canadian Commercial and Consumer Law and Legal Process.
International Law and Maritime Law, particularly carriage of goods by sea.
Selected awards & honours
- Canadian Association of Law Teachers Award for Academic Excellence (2003)
- Walter Owen Book Prize, 2005 for Maritime Law (co-authored with Edgar Gold & Aldo Chircop)
Professor Kindred has written widely on international, maritime and commercial law subjects, as well as on public legal education.
- Hugh Kindred & Max Ganado, Marine Cargo Delays: the law of delay in the carriage of general cargoes by sea (Lloyd's of London Press: 1990).
- Hugh Kindred & Mary Brooks, Multimodal Transport Rules (The Hague: Kluwer Law International, 1997).
- Aldo Chircop, Edgar Gold & Hugh Kindred, Maritime Law (Irwin Law, Inc., 2003).
- Hugh Kindred et al, eds, International Law Chiefly as Interpreted and Applied in Canada, 4th-8th ed (Emond Montgomery Publications, 1987-2014).
- Stephen Coughlin et al, Law Without Borders: Extraterritorial Jurisdiction in an Age of Globalization (Irwin Law, 2014).
- Aldo Chircop et al, eds, Canadian Maritime Law (Irwin Law, Inc., 2016).
Service & activity
- Editorial boards of the Canadian Yearbook of International Law & the Ocean Yearbook
- Coordinator of Canadian contributions to the Oxford Reports on International Law in Domestic Courts.