Scholarship at a glance
Value: $2,500 per term for up to six terms ($15,000)
Scholarship type: Entrance or in-program
Degree level: Doctoral
Available to: Canadian and international students
The President’s Awards are intended to recognize the high academic achievements of students who have successfully been awarded major scholarships from the Tri-agency doctoral competitions.
For new awards issued in 2023, the award is valued at $2,500 per term for up to six terms.
At the time of admission into their PhD, or within the first twelve months (three terms) of registration in their PhD. Eligible students will hold a full doctoral scholarship from one of these specified funding programs:
- NSERC (PGSD, CGSD, Vanier CGS)
- SSHRC (Doctoral, CGSD, Vanier CGS)
- CIHR (Doctoral, CGSD, Vanier CGS)
Recipients will receive funding each term for up to six terms (two years), provided they are:
- registered as a full-time student within the first four years of your program
- paying full tuition (i.e., not continuing fees)
- receiving a full doctoral scholarship from one of the specified agencies
- tuition is not covered by any other award, agency or government*
Please note that the new Killam award value which takes effect May 1, 2023, includes the cost of tuition.
There is no need to apply. If you are meet the eligibility requirements listed above, you will be automatically considered for one of the President’s Awards.
If you have been selected for an award, the Faculty of Graduate Studies will notify you and your department following your admission.