Scholarship at a glance
Deadlines: June 1 and October 1 (institutional deadlines for Dalhousie)
Scholarship type: In-program
Degree level: Master's or Doctoral
Available to: Holders of Tri-agency Canadian Graduate Scholarships
The Canada Graduate Scholarships – Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplements (CGS-MSFSS) support Canadian graduate students in building global linkages and international networks through the pursuit of exceptional research experiences at research institutions abroad. By accessing international scientific research and training, CGS-MSFSS recipients will contribute to strengthening the potential for collaboration between Canadian and foreign institutions.
Supplements of up to $6,000 are available to active CGS (master’s or doctoral) or eligible Vanier CGS holders to help offset the costs of undertaking research studies outside Canada for a defined period. A total of 250 awards are available each year and are divided among the three agencies—the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC). This reflects the distribution of CGS and eligible Vanier CGS across the health-related disciplines, the natural sciences and engineering and the social sciences and humanities: 45 for CIHR, 80 for NSERC and 125 for SSHRC. Additional supplements may be awarded should funds become available.
To be eligible to apply for this supplement, you must:
Have accepted or currently hold a CGS (master’s or doctoral) or eligible Vanier CGS.
Undertake your proposed trip abroad no earlier than the competition deadline date.
Not hold, or have held, any other CGS-MSFSS during the course of your graduate studies.
To remain eligible during the research study period abroad, you must:
- Hold an active CGS at the time your research study period abroad starts.
- Be registered in a graduate research studies program at a Canadian institution for the duration of your research study period abroad.
- Take up the award within one year of receiving the notice of award for the CGS-MSFSS.
- Return to complete your degree at your Canadian institution.
Applications for this award are submitted through the appropriate Tri-agency website.
- Each agency has its own application form, instructions, and consent forms.
- This competition runs twice per year. Once you have completed your application form in the agency portal and uploaded all required documents, send a PDF of your full application to email@example.com before the appropriate institutional deadline.