- Always be alert to your surroundings and the people around you.
- Walk confidently and at a steady pace.
- If you feel uncomfortable with a situation or person, leave.
- Trust your intuition.
- If you work/study alone or after normal business hours, ensure doors and windows are properly closed and locked.
- Keep a written record of obscene telephone calls, harassing behaviour and save harassing e-mails and letters.
- Never assume that an individual wandering through a building is a staff member. Asking simple questions such as, "May I help you" or "Who are you here to see?" can discourage the dishonest without intimidating the legitimate visitor. If you are uncomfortable with doing this notify Dalhousie Security Services at (902) 494-4109 or (902) 494-6400.
- Report problems with safety equipment, such as discharged fire extinguishers, damaged emergency telephones, burnt out lights and malfunctioning electronic door access systems.