Choosing a major (and minor)
Explore your options
While some students know what they will major in before they even arrive on campus, most students are still unsure when the time comes to declare a major—the good news is we can help you figure out a plan!
If you need some help choosing a major, here are some tips:
- Find out what your options are. Refer to the undergraduate programs listing for detailed information on each of the major programs.
- Research your major/career options at the Student Success Centre or explore majors and careers online.
- Know the requirements of the majors you're considering. Have a look at the academic calendar and ask yourself if the classes offered are of interest to you.
- Talk to students and professors in programs that you’re considering and/or meet with advisors in the department.
- Visit departments you're interested in and check out bulletin boards for posters about seminar series, social events, internships and scholarships.
- Take classes in other departments to explore your interests
- If you're interested in multiple areas, you might consider doing a double major. and/or a minor.
Before you declare
Success in a chosen career path depends on a combination of interests, skills and aptitudes. Be sure to consider your career plans/interests as well as any future studies that might be required to achieve your career goals.
Keep your options open
Once you declare a major, you can always change it if you decide on another major, or, if you plan to add a minor, pursue honours, etc..
Attend the Academic Program Fair
Hosted annually in January, the Academic Program Fair provides an opportunity to explore programs offered by over 50 departments and schools at Dal— all in one location. View exhibits, uncover diverse elective courses, learn about our new minors, and enjoy one-on-one conversations with professors, students, and advisors.
Attending the Fair can be an important first step in choosing a major, and can open your mind to options you may not have considered (e.g,. double major/combined honours, minors, certificates, etc.).