Conducting innovative research on a global scale
Dalhousie's membership in the U15 distinguishes us as one of Canada’s leading research-intensive universities, attracting more than $135 million in research grants and awards each year. Many Dalhousie researchers are nationally and internationally recognized for their work, whether it’s groundbreaking, thought-provoking or solving real-world issues.
Canada Research Chairs
Dalhousie is home to 50 Canada Research Chairs, more than any other university in the region. Chairholders advance the frontiers of knowledge in their fields, not only through their own work, but also by teaching and supervising students and coordinating the work of other researchers.
”I think it’s really a chance to start something new, but with the benefit of knowing that the capability exists to do something special.”
– Doug Wallace, Canada Excellence Research Chair (CERC) in Ocean Science and Technology
Our researchers are exploring a number of research areas including:
- ocean studies
- advanced materials and clean technology
- health and wellness
- governance, society and culture
- information science and communication
- agriculture and food technologies
- energy and the environment
For more on research taking place at Dalhousie, visit the Research website.