Dalhousie's campuses typically quiet down a bit on weekends. Not last Saturday (Nov.4), though, when a record number of prospective students and their supporters spent the day exploring the university in Halifax.
Dal welcomed 2,525 guests to its Halifax Open House event this year for a day of immersive activities — from facility tours and residence visits to speed-friending and trivia — spread across the university’s three campuses in the city.
Prospective students visited from seven provinces, the U.S. and other places around the world to experience a day in the life of a Dal student and learn about programs and supports.
"It was incredible to see all of the excitement and energy across campus this weekend," says Joy Baillie, assistant registrar for recruitment and special events.
"As this is my first year in the Open House coordinator role, I'm so thankful for the support across campus of these events and energized to continue to innovate and elevate these prospective student experiences."
The Halifax event followed on the heels of Open House on the Truro Campus last month (Oct. 21).
Take a look at highlights and photos from both events below:
Fall Open House in Halifax: Highlights
- Attendees by type: 1,151 prospective students + 1,374 parents and supporters = 2,525 total guests
- Provinces represented by attendees: Alberta, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island
- Countries represented by attendees: Italy, the United States, South Korea, Columbia, Honduras
- Number of introductory, academic, immersive activity and pathway sessions: 88
- Number of booths at information fairs (academic, student life, & student support services): 92
- Notable activities: Health Sciences program wheeled equipment in from the hospital for live demonstrations, including allowing students to test out ultrasound machines; tour of the Nursing simulation labs and demonstration on patient reactions; students toured the makerspace and heavy prototyping lab in the Faculty of Engineering.
Fall Open House in Truro — Oct. 21: Highlights
- Overall attendees: 122 guests
- Provinces represented by attendees: Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland
- Notable activities: Students had interactive programming built into every stop of the day, including planting succulents to take home, a tour of the on-campus vet clinic, and hands-on activities with each department.
Those who were unable to attend Dal’s in-person Open House events this year can drop by the virtual event on Saturday, December 2 (7-11 a.m.). Register now.
comments powered by Disqus