Rollie Thompson, QC
Professor of Law
PO Box 15000 Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4R2
- Family law
- Civil procedure
- Poverty law
- BA Hons (McGill)
- LLB (Dalhousie)
- Nova Scotia, 1980
Professor Thompson's research interests include Family Law, Child Protection, Evidence, Civil Procedure, Access to Justice, Legal Aid and Poverty Law.
Selected awards & honours
- Queen's Counsel, 2011
- 2001-02 Recipient of the Dalhousie Law Alumni Association and the Dalhousie Law Students’ Society Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2005 Recipient of the Vincent J. Pottier Award for Exceptional and Outstanding Contribution to Dalhousie Legal Aid Service
- 2016 Recipient of Award for Teaching Excellence in the Osgoode Professional Ll.M.
- 2018 Recipient (with Carol Rogerson) of one of the AFCC-Ontario’s “10 in 10” 10th Anniversary Awards of Excellence in Family Justice
- Rollie Thompson, “The Retreat from ‘Least Intrusive Intervention’ in Canadian Child Protection Law” (2018), 37 Can Fam.LQ 99.
- Rollie Thompson and Carol Rogerson, The Revised User’s Guide to the Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines (Ottawa: Department of Justice, April 2016)
- Rollie Thompson, "Ideas of Spousal Support Entitlement" (2015) 34 Can Fam LQ 1.
- Rollie Thompson, "Presumptions, Burdens and Best Interests in Relocation" (2015) 53 Fam Ct Rev 40.
- Rollie Thompson, "The TLC of Shared Parenting: Time, Language and Cash" (2013) 32 Can Fam LQ 315.
- Rollie Thompson, ed, Nova Scotia Civil Procedure Rules, 2nd ed (LexisNexis Canada, looseleaf).
- Rollie Thompson, “Heading for the Light: International Relocation from Canada” (2011) 30 Can Fam LQ 1
- Family, Children and Youth Section, Department of Justice Canada, Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines (Ottawa: Department of Justice, July 2008).
- Rollie Thompson, "Slackers, Shirkers and Career-Changers: Imputing Income for Under/Unemployment" (2007) 26 Can Fam LQ 135.
- Rollie Thompson, "Rounding Up the Usual Criminal Suspects, and a Few More Civil Ones: Section 7 After Chaoulli" (2007) 20 NJCL 129.
Service & activity
- Editor of the Canadian Family Law Quarterly.
- 2001-08: Co-Director (with Carol Rogerson), Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines Project, Canada Department of Justice