D A Rollie Thompson, QC
Professor of Law
PO Box 15000 Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4R2
- Family law
- Civil procedure
- Poverty law
- BA Hons (McGill)
- LLB (Dalhousie)
- Nova Scotia, 1980
- Family Law I (LAWS 2110)
- Financial Issues in Family Law (LAWS 2112)
- Nova Scotia Supreme Court (Family Division) Placement (LAWS 2175)
Professor Thompson's research interests include Family Law, Child Protection, Evidence, Civil Procedure, Access to Justice, Legal Aid and Poverty Law.
Selected awards & honours
- Queen's Counsel, 2011
- 2001-02 Recipient of the Dalhousie Law Alumni Association and the Dalhousie Law Students’ Society Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2005 Recipient of the Vincent J. Pottier Award for Exceptional and Outstanding Contribution to Dalhousie Legal Aid Service
- Rollie Thompson, "Ideas of Spousal Support Entitlement" (2015) 34 Can Fam LQ 1.
- Rollie Thompson, "Presumptions, Burdens and Best Interests in Relocation" (2015) 53 Fam Ct Rev 40.
- Rollie Thompson, "The TLC of Shared Parenting: Time, Language and Cash" (2013) 32 Can Fam LQ 315.
- Rollie Thompson, ed, Nova Scotia Civil Procedure Rules, 2nd ed (LexisNexis Canada, looseleaf).
- Rollie Thompson, “Heading for the Light: International Relocation from Canada” (2011) 30 Can Fam LQ 1
- Family, Children and Youth Section, Department of Justice Canada, Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines (Ottawa: Department of Justice, July 2008).
- Rollie Thompson, "Slackers, Shirkers and Career-Changers: Imputing Income for Under/Unemployment" (2007) 26 Can Fam LQ 135.
- Rollie Thompson, "Rounding Up the Usual Criminal Suspects, and a Few More Civil Ones: Section 7 After Chaoulli" (2007) 20 NJCL 129.
Service & activity
- Editor of the Canadian Family Law Quarterly.
- 2001-08: Co-Director, Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines Project, Canada Department of Justice