Michael Deturbide, QC
Professor of Law; Associate Dean, Academic; Founding Director, Law & Technology Institute
PO Box 15000 Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4R2
- Business associations
- Law and technology
- Media law
- New media law
- Tax policy
- Corporate law
- Business law
- BSc Hons (Dalhousie)
- BJ (King's)
- JD (Dalhousie)
- LLM (Dalhousie)
- Nova Scotia, 1991
Professor Deturbide helped establish several innovative programs at Dalhousie University, including the Master of Electronic Commerce Program. He has lectured at universities and technology law conferences in Canada, the US, Mexico, Europe, and Australia.
- Business Associations (LAWS 2002)
Areas of supervision: Internet Law, Electronic Commerce, Corporate Law, Taxation
Professor Deturbide's research interests include electronic contracting, corporate law, media law, and the impact of technology on the law. Professor Deturbide is co-editor-in-chief and co-founder of the national law review on technology law matters, the Canadian Journal of Law and Technology.
Selected awards & honours
- Dalhousie Law Students' Society and Alumni Association Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Michael Deturbide & Teresa Scassa, Electronic Commerce and Internet Law in Canada, 2nd ed (Toronto: CCH Canadian, 2012).
- Canada, Department of Justice, Pre-Implementation Report on the Connection of Electronic Communications in International Contracts (Ottawa: Department of Justice, 2008).
- Michael Deturbide, Consumer Protection Online (Toronto: Butterworths, 2006).
- Teresa Scassa et al, "Consumer Privacy and Radio Frequency Identification Technology" (2006) 37 Ottawa L Rev 215.
Service & activity
- Chair, Studies Committee and Admissions Committee - Schulich School of Law
- Member, Senate Appeals Committee, Dalhousie University
- Member, National Committee on Accreditation, Federation of Law Societies, Exam Policy Committee
- Board of Directors, Canadian IT Law Association
- Board of Directors, Commonwealth Judicial Education Institute
- Board of Directors, Dalhousie Law Alumni Association
- Board of Directors, Law Services Admissions Council
- Board of Directors, Neptune Theatre
- Board of Directors, Dalhousie Art Gallery