Associate Professor of Law; Associate Director, Law & Technology Institute
PO Box 15000 Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4R2
- Intellectual property law
- Copyright law
- Patent law
- Trademark law
- IP licensing
- LLB (U de Montréal)
- LLM (U de Montréal)
- PhD (U van Amsterdam)
Areas of supervision: All areas of intellectual property law.
The goal of my research is to explain, interpret and evaluate legal rules, mostly in the area of copyright law, in a constantly evolving socio-economic and technological environment and where possible, make suggestions for improvement. My research and teaching focus primarily on intellectual property law, with important incursions into contract law, e-commerce law, competition law, fundamental rights law (mainly freedom of expression and right to privacy), and consumer law.
Selected awards & honours
- 2015: LIBER Innovation Award, Liber Europe Conference, London (UK) 14-16 June for paper "Is Europe Falling Behind? Copyright’s Impact on Data Mining in Academic Research" (C. Handke, L. Guibault and J.-J. Vallbé)
- 2013: Highly Commended Award Winner at Literati Network awards for Excellence for paper (with N. Helberger), "Clash of Cultures – Integrating Copyright and Consumer Law", Info 2012, vol. 14/6.
- 2008: Canon Foundation Europe, scholarship awarded to carry out research in the field of trademark law and comparative advertising, Tohoku University, Faculty of Law (Sendai, Japan)
- 2006: Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW) Akademie Colloquium for organisation of conference entitled ‘Open Content: New Models for Accessing and Licensing Knowledge’
- 1996: Winner of the Prix des Cahiers de propriété intellectuelle (Québec, Canada)
- 1994: Institute for Humane Studies, George Mason University (Virginia): scholarship awarded for attending the Liberty and Society Summer Seminar, College of Notre-Dame, Belmont California
- 1992: Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD): scholarship for a research stay at the Max-Planck-Institut für Patent- Urheber- und Wettbewerbsrecht in Munich, Germany
- 1991: Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD): scholarship awarded for a language immersion course in German at the University of Trier, Germany
- 1988: Winner of the Prix Matthieu-Bernard (essay competition) (Société québécoise de droit international public, Québec, Canada)
- Lucie Guibault, "Cultural Heritage Online? Settle It in the Country of Origin of the Work’", JIPITEC vol. 6 nr. 3, pp. 173-191. (refereed)
- L. Guibault, ‘Why Cherry Picking Never Leads to Harmonisation: The Case of the Limitations on Copyright under Directive 2001/29/EC’, JIPITEC, 2010-2, p. 55-66. (refereed)
- L. Guibault, ‘Le tir manqué de la Directive européenne sur le droit d'auteur dans la société de l'information’, 14 Les Cahiers de Propriété Intellectuelle 537-573 (2002).
- L. Guibault, and S. van Gompel, ‘Collective Management in the European Union’, in D. Gervais (ed.), 3e ed. -Alphen aan den Rijn, Kluwer Law International, 2016, pp. 135-167.
- L. Guibault, and C. Angelopoulos, Open Content Licensing – From Theory to Practice, Amsterdam, Amsterdam University Press 2011.
- L. Guibault, and P.B. Hugenholtz (ed.), The Future of the Public Domain, The Hague, London, Boston, Kluwer Law International, Information Law Series, 2006.
- L. Guibault, and Ot van Daalen, Unravelling the Myth of Open Source Licences – An Analysis from a Dutch and European Law Perspective, The Hague, T.M.C. Asser Press, 2006, ITeR Series No. 8, 213p.
- L. Guibault, Copyright Limitations and Contracts – An Analysis of the Contractual Overridability of Limitations on Copyright, (Diss. University of Amsterdam) The Hague, London, Boston, Kluwer Law International, 2002, coll. Information Law Series – 9, 392p.
Service & activity
- Member, scientific advisory board of the Nexa Center for Internet and Society (Politecnico di Torino, Italy)
- Co-editor-in-chief, Kluwer Copyright Blog
- Co-editor, Journal of Intellectual Property, Information Technology and E-Commerce (JIPITEC)
- Member, editorial board and board of administration, Les cahiers de propriété intellectuelle
- Member, international editorial board, www.juriscom.net
- Correspondent for Canada & the Netherlands, Computer Law Review International