Professor of Law
PO Box 15000 Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4R2
- Health care policy
- Health law and policy
- Medical malpractice
- Public health law
- LLB (Saskatchewan)
- LLM (Toronto)
- 2003-13: "Facilitating Access to Health Data for Research and Planning in Light of Laws and Ethical Norms" - $719,836, Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), Co-Principal Investigator
- 2008-09: "What Are the Notification Policies of Academic Health Care Institutions Regarding Research Uses of Personal Health Information in their Custody?"- $100,000, CIHR, Co-Investigator
- 2007-09: "Pandemic Planning and Foundational Ethical Questions of Justice, the Common Good and the Public Interest" - $130,347, CIHR, Co-Investigator
Selected awards & honours
- 2005 - 2006: Recipient of the Law Commission of Canada/Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council Virtual Scholar in Residence Award
- Elaine Gibson, "International Perspectives on Regulation of Patient Safety in the Emergency Care Setting" in Pat Croskerry et al, eds, Patient Safety in Emergency Medicine (Lippicott Williams and Wilkins, 2009) 351.
- Elaine Gibson et al, "Who's Minding the Shop? The Role of Canadian Research Ethics Boards in the Creation and Uses of Registries and Biobanks" (2008) 9 BMC Medical Ethics 17.
- Elaine Gibson, "Publication of Case Reports: Is Consent Required?" (2008) 13:8 Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health 666.
- Elaine Gibson, "Public Health Information Privacy and Confidentiality" in Tracey M. Bailey, Timothy Caulfield & Nola M. Ries, eds, Public Health Law & Policy in Canada, 2nd ed (LexisNexis, 2008) 91.
- Elaine Gibson & Jan Sutherland, "Guiding Patrons to Online Health Informaton: Can Librarians be Found Liable?" (2008) 31:2 Canadian Journal of Information and Library Science 179.
Service & activity
- 2009: Standing Committee on Social Affairs, Science and Technology, Witness Critique of Bill C-11, Human Pathogens and Toxins Act
- 2009: Standing Committee on Health, House of Commons Committee, Witness Critique of Bill C-11, Human Pathogens and Toxins Act
- 2004 - 2008: Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Institute for Health Services and Policy, Research Advisory Board
- 2006 - 2008: Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Institute Advisory Board Ethics Designates Committee
- 2005 - 2008: Public Health Law Improvement Network
- 2004: Standing Committee on Health, House of Commons Committee, Witness Critique of Bill C-12, An Act to Prevent the Introduction and Spread of Communicable Diseases