Technology and Security
Technology can protect and promote human rights but can also pose complex challenges to those same interests. Our research, which often employs interdisciplinary approaches, analyzes the impact and implications technology has for human rights in a variety of contexts:
- Privacy, Surveillance, and Data Protection
- Cyberbullying and Cyberharassment
- Online Speech and Censorship Issues
- Big Data and the Internet of Things
- Jonathon Penney (with Lex Gill and Ron Deibert), Advancing Human Rights-by-Design in the Dual Use Technology Industry, Columbia Journal of International Affairs (forthcoming 2019).
- Robert Currie, Cross-Cutting Conflicts: Developments in the Use of Norwich Orders in Internet Defamation Cases in T. Archibald et al., eds., Annual Review of Civil Litigation 2016 (Toronto: Carswell, 2016) 129-161