Research Training & Support
Researchers at the Faculty of Dentistry have access to a wealth of training and support resources, through both the university and external organizations.
Faculty of Dentistry Research Development Office
The Research Development Office facilitates and grows research activity within the faculty. The Research Development Officer and the Financial Research Administrator Denise Lynds, working together with the Assistant Dean Research Dr. Mary McNally, can assist you with the following:
- finding funding opportunities
- research design
- pre- and post-award processing of grant applications
- liaising with Office of Research Services and funding agencies
- publicizing your research
- developing research agreements and contracts
For more information, contact the Research Development Officer at (902) 494-2242, email@example.com or in room 5157 in the Dentistry Building.
The Faculty of Dentistry has poster templates for conferences available in standard sizes. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office of Research Services (ORS)
ORS supports university faculty and can help you attract research funding and undertake collaborative research with and/or for industry, governmental and international partners. ORS provides services in grant applications, research ethics, industry liason and post-awards support.
Grant writing support
- Grants lending library: The Faculty of Dentistry maintains a library for researchers looking for examples of successful grant applications submitted by faculty members to a variety of funding sources. Reviewers' comments are included when available. To access the library, contact email@example.com for the list of grants available for loan.
- Internal peer review: The Faculty of Dentistry offers an internal peer review service for faculty researchers who wish to have their grant proposals formally reviewed by colleagues in Dentistry, Medicine or elsewhere (as appropriate), prior to submission to a granting agency. If you are interested in participating in this program, please notify firstname.lastname@example.org in advance. To allow time for the review, you must submit a good draft of your proposal at least 6 weeks before the agency deadline.
- The Art of Grantsmanship by Jacob Kraicer, University of Toronto [PDF 80 kB]
- Guidebook for New Principal Investigators by Roderick McInnes, Brenda Andrews and Richard Rachubinski, CIHR [PDF 1.4 mB]
The Faculty of Dentistry's mentoring program helps match new faculty members with potential mentors, and provides structure and training support to the mentorship process.
Mentoring benefits both mentors and mentees by promoting personal and professional growth. For more information, contact email@example.com.
Research design and data analysis support
Research Methods Unit
The unit is a partnership of the Nova Scotia Health Authority, the IWK Health Centre and Dalhousie University. It provides consulting and referral services including research design and methods, biostatistics, data management and health economics.