News» Go to news main
Dr. Lisa Johnson: our new oral pathologist
The Faculty of Dentistry is pleased to welcome Dr. Lisa Johnson as an oral pathologist in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Sciences. She joins us from the University of Toronto, where she recently graduated with a dual MSc in oral pathology and oral medicine.
Dr. Johnson trained as a dentist and worked in general practice for 13 years. While at a dental retreat, she attended an update in oral pathology lecture and was reminded of how much she enjoyed the pathological side of dentistry.
“I’ve always loved the microscopic side of dentistry; in a sense, it is like the final answer to everything that is going on in the oral cavity. I enjoy studying and understanding the physiological processes taking place in a tissue reaction, such as inflammation or carcinogeneis. It’s simply mind boggling.”
The “great attraction” of the Faculty of Dentistry position, says Dr. Johnson, is our biopsy service, which enables her to examine specimens at a microscopic level.
Dr. Johnson visited Halifax for the first time last summer before she and her husband moved here in time for her to take up her position on November 1, 2016. She is teaching in the undergraduate and OMFS and perio residency programs and also spending one day a week in private practice.
- Kindness to a colleague is recognised
- Dental hygiene in the real world
- A moving experience: New equipment arrives in the dental clinic
- 47th Annual Table Clinics and dental hygiene professional presentations
- 20 years of the Prosthodontic Olympics
- Dr. Lisa Johnson: our new oral pathologist
- Dr. Derek Jones: A life of many highlights
- Wise words from young dentists to new dentists