FCS News» Go to news main
Call for applications for Canadian Celebration of Women in Computing and Gender Summit scholarships
Applications are now open for the Dalhousie Faculty of Computer Science Travel Scholarships for The ACM Canadian Celebration of Women in Computing Conference (DFCS- CWiC) and the Gender Summit North America 2017 (DFCS-GS). The DFCS-CWiC/DFCS-GS Travel Scholarships will partially cover your cost of attendance at this year’s CWiC Conference or Gender Summit Conference.
The ACM Canadian Celebration of Women in Computing is a chance for technical women from across Canada to meet, network and celebrate. The conference will feature keynotes, workshops, student sessions, a career fair and more. This year’s CWiC conference will be held on Nov. 3-4 in Montreal. Learn about the conference.
The Gender Summit North America 2017 is an interconnected, action-based event that has been held across the globe since 2011. They follow the theme of “Quality Research and Innovation through Equality.” Their aim is to make gender equality in research and innovation the norm and to embed gender equality as a primary dimension of quality. It will be held this year in Montreal Nov. 6-8. Learn about the conference.
Submit your application
If you’re interested in attending the CWiC'2017 or the Gender Summit North America 2017 to represent Dalhousie FCS this year, please submit the following documents to Dr. Bonnie MacKay, Chair of CoReCS at firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, Oct. 1 at 2:00pm:
- Your resume or CV
- Names and contact details of two faculty/staff members that could provide a reference for you if needed (please let them know you will be using their name). Note, CoReCS committee members can not give references for this scholarship.
- One-page essay discussing:
- Your activities to help promote a culture of respect and diversity in FCS
- Why you think you are a good candidate to represent Dal FCS at CWiC'2017/or the Gender Summit
- How it will help you and our Faculty to enhance the learning, social, and working environment for everyone in FCS
We encourage both undergraduate and graduate students from the Faculty of Computer Science to apply; although the Gender Summit would be more suited for graduate students. Please also indicate which conference you would like to be considered for as students will only be awarded one travel scholarship; although you can still attend both if you want.
The CoReCS committee will inform the applicants once the review process is completed.
Additional funding resources
Please note that other resources are available to you on campus (whether you’re a successful scholarship winner or not) to further help you pay your way to these conferences.
- Other Funding Resources
- Dalhousie Association of Graduate Students (if a grad student)
- Dalhousie Student Union
- Computer Science Society
- Computer Science Graduate Society
- Career and Leadership Development Centre (in the Student Union Building)
- Dalhousie Science Society and Dalhousie Arts Society (If you are linked to other societies or faculties then these two options may also be available to you)
- NS Sandboxes bootcamp fosters creativity, innovation for entrepreneurs
- Congrats to our grads of Spring 2018!
- Computer Science prof recognized for digital leadership
- Dal Alumnae and Students Inspire Girls to Code, From Coast to Coast
- Grad Profile: From Public Relations to Computer Science
- Grad Profile: Tackling Chronic Disease with Technology
- Humanitarian Drive
- Introducing Dal's honorary degree recipients for Spring Convocation 2018