FCS News» Go to news main
In the News: Big data big at Dal (via The Chronicle Herald)
Big data analytics is growing and Dalhousie University is getting into the field in a greater way.
The Halifax university officially launched the Institute for Big Data Analytics on Thursday.
The institute, part of the faculty of computer science, is the first of its kind in Canada and possibly North America, Dalhousie officials said.
Stan Matwin, the institute’s director, said researchers at Dalhousie are already involved in the big data field nationally and internationally.
“It’s building on work that’s already done,” Matwin, a Canada Research Chair in Visual Text Analytics, said in an interview.
- $50,000 investment for student and alumni founded start‑up
- Goldberg Study Areas
- Exploring the aftermath of the Halifax Explosion a century later
- 5 reasons why you should visit us at Open House
- Dal brings art, wonder and research to Halifax's Nocturne festival
- Creating a sustainable future for the oceans sector
- Keeping Computer Science in the family
- Call for applications for Canadian Celebration of Women in Computing and Gender Summit scholarships