FCS News» Go to news main
In the News: Big data big at Dal (via The Chronicle Herald)
Big data analytics is growing and Dalhousie University is getting into the field in a greater way.
The Halifax university officially launched the Institute for Big Data Analytics on Thursday.
The institute, part of the faculty of computer science, is the first of its kind in Canada and possibly North America, Dalhousie officials said.
Stan Matwin, the institute’s director, said researchers at Dalhousie are already involved in the big data field nationally and internationally.
“It’s building on work that’s already done,” Matwin, a Canada Research Chair in Visual Text Analytics, said in an interview.
- Dalhousie University: Where computer science students are empowered to push boundaries
- Fowl language: AI is learning to analyze chicken communications to help us understand what all the clucking’s about
- Where Ideas Meet Impact: Dal researcher investigates the dangers of our digital exhaust
- Students chart a path to success in Halifax’s booming ocean‑tech sector
- Dalhousie's National Cybersecurity Triumph
- Inclusive Impact: A refreshed strategic direction for Dalhousie research and innovation
- "In search of a better tomorrow": Dal innovators celebrated at Discovery Awards
- Dal’s Women in Technology Society opens doors for Bachelor of Computer Science student