Writing Skills for Academic Study
Spring 2018 Course Times & Tutorial Information
April 10 - May 17, 2018
Classes: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Tutorial: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 3:30 pm - 4:00 pm
Summer 2018 Course Times & Tutorial Information
July 3 - August 9, 2018
Classes: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Tutorial: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Fall 2018 Course Times & Tutorial Information
September 14 - November 30, 2018
Classes: Fridays, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Tutorial: Fridays, 8:30 am - 9:00 am
This course teaches the writing and composition skills needed for successful university study and is intended for students with English as a first language. This course is accepted by Dalhousie University in place of NS Grade 12 English to prepare you for the writing demands in all university level courses.
What Will I Learn?
You will learn to:
- write effectively structured, coherent paragraphs
- write essays using conventional techniques for gathering material, choosing a topic, forming a thesis statement, preparing an out-line, writing the first draft, editing and revising
- use various methods of developing paragraphs and essays, for example narration, description, cause and effect, argument and per-suasion
- read critically, assessing authors’ ideas and techniques; basic aspects of grammar and style will also be reviewed.
Class time will include lecture, writing, exercises, peer review, and group discussion. Expect to allocate a minimum of 3 hours for every hour in the classroom to complete assignments. Evaluation will be based on two tests and seven writing assignments.
Textbooks are required and may be purchased from the Dalhousie University Bookstore.
* University Prep courses are non-credit preparatory courses. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that each course he/she enrolls in is accepted at other post-secondary institutions, beyond Dalhousie University.