Info for Students

We're here to provide you with the information you need. If you can't find what you're looking for, please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions. 

As a student of the Faculty of Open Learning & Career Development, you will have two different Dahousie University accounts, including your Destiny One account and your Dal NetID account.

What is a Destiny One account?

Your Destiny One account is your permanent account in our student information system for our lifelong learning courses.  Your account will never expire. You can use this account to sign up for another course, print your record of completed courses and accompanying grades, and review your account history at any time in the future.

What is a Dal NetID account?

Your Dal Net ID account is used to access various Dalhousie University systems, including our learning management system Brightspace.  Your Dal Net ID will expire at the conclusion of your course. You will lose access to this account during the time periods when you are not actively enrolled in one of our courses.


How to Register For Courses If...

I Don't Have a Destiny One Username and Password

Visit this site and fill out the information under, I am a New User.

When you're there, please enter your primary email to continue and use this as your login ID until administration staff modify your username if necessary. If your username is modified you will be sent an email with the updated information.

After creating a student profile, you can select "Forgot Username" and by entering your preferred email address, you will receive an email with your current username.

I have a Destiny One Account

Use your initial login ID unless you've received a new username email.

If you received a new Username sent to your email address after creating your student profile use your new username (if you haven't received a password, please click on "Forgot Password" and one will be sent to the email account on record for you). If you do not receive the most recent email, check your junk email folders and add to your email address book to ensure emails will not be blocked in future.

Remember this information is valid until you receive an updated Dalhousie ID. If you do not know your current Username click on "Forgot Username" below and enter your preferred email address to receive your current Username.

I have a Dalhousie NetID and Password

If you have a Dalhousie NetID, but have never logged into DestinyOne, login to create your DestinyOne student account for the Faculty of Open Learning & Career Development.

After your student account has been created, you can login through the Destiny One Account Login fields.


Benefits We Offer Our Learners

Get recognized for your learning at the Faculty through our Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) program. Or earn a microcredential after taking one of our courses.  

What is Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and how can it benefit me?

RPL assesses learning that you have gained through work and life experience or from non-recognized institutions.

Transfer credit involves the assessment of potential formal learning from other recognized post-secondary institutions (colleges, universities, etc.)

Learners should contact the RPL Office at the Faculty of Open Learning and Career Development to discuss their eligibility to apply for RPL, and information and guidance on the RPL process.

You can contact the RPL coordinator to make an appointment by email at

RPL is for adult learners who have significant previous work and life learning such as:

  • Independent / self-study
  • Engaging in online self-directed learning (LinkedIn Learning, edX, Coursera, etc.)
  • Volunteer activities
  • Being coached, mentored, and receiving feedback
  • Workplace training
  • Seminars
  • Workshops
  • Professional development events
  • Non-accredited certificates (IT Certificates, Project Management Certification, licenses, etc.)
  • Continuing studies courses or programs

What are microcredentials and how can they benefit me?

Microcredentials can be a powerful tool to help you get noticed and land that job in your desired field.

They are evidence of a skill or competency that has been demonstrated by you, our learner. They are represented by a digital badge that can be added to your social media sites, such as LinkedIn, the footer of your emails, or your digital resume. Potential employers can click on those digital badges and see a record of what you had to do to earn that microcredential.


Our Policies

If you questions about our policies on registering for courses, withdrawals, transfers and deferrals, please refer to our Policies (2.12 MB).

Invoices & Payments

If you have invoicing questions or are unsure about how to pay for courses, please email the Registration Team directly. 

Support for Students, Staff & Faculty Members

The Faculty of Open Learning & Career Development is one of many learning and training pathways available to you at Dalhousie University. We have a range of courses and certificates available to you through our tuition waiver program, on a complementary basis or for a fee. Learn more about our pathways available to you.

Do You Have More Questions?

If we haven't answered your questions, please visit our FAQs for more details on passwords, troubleshooting and more.