Writing Skills for Academic Study ‑ Online
2018 Winter Dates
January 8 - March 30, 2018
This 100% online course teaches the writing and composition skills needed for successful university study and is intended for students with English as a first language. This course is accepted by Dalhousie University in place of NS Grade 12 English to prepare you for the writing demands in all university level courses.
What Will I Learn?
You will learn to:
- write effectively structured, coherent paragraphs
- write essays using conventional techniques for gathering material, choosing a topic, forming a thesis statement, preparing an out-line, writing the first draft, editing and revising
- use various methods of developing paragraphs and essays, for example narration, description, cause and effect, argument and persuasion
- read critically, assessing authors’ ideas and techniques; basic aspects of grammar and style will also be reviewed.
This online version of Writing Skills for Academic Study is delivered 100% online; all tests and assignments will be required to be submitted online. Generally, students can expect to spend 8-10 hours per week working on the course, including homework, collaboration and online “office” time with the Instructor. With the more condensed course delivery, approximately 12-15 hours per week will be necessary.
Brief journal entries will be submitted weekly in addition to assignments, and participants are asked to be available online the following dates for assessments:
- Tuesday, October 24/17, 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- Tuesday, October 31/17, 7:30 pm - 8:00 pm
- Tuesday, November 14/17, 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- Tuesday, November 21/17, 7:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Evaluation for this course will be based on three tests, journal entries and seven writing assignments.
Textbooks are required and may be purchased from the Dalhousie University Bookstore in person (6136 University Avenue) or online. The bookstore’s telephone number is (902) 494-2460 (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
The bookstore’s course code for this course is: COCE0012 - Writing Skills For Academic St (COCE).
Two textbooks are required:
- The Bare Essentials Textbook and Workbook, 9th Edition (Web SKU: WW0176775498)
- The Canadian Practical Stylist with Readings, 4th Edition (Web SKU: WW00274306)