University Prep Biology (Biology 0010.00)
Winter 2018 Course Times & Tutorial Information
January 5 - April 20, 2018
Tutorials: Fridays, 1:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. (optional)
Mid Term Exam: Friday, February 16, 2018, 1:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Final Exam Review: Friday, April 6, 2018, 1:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Final Exam: Friday, April 20, 2018, 1:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
(No classes on February 2 & March 30, 2018; University Holidays)
University Prep Biology is designed for students who have never taken biology, or who want to improve their knowledge before taking a Majors university biology course. Designed by Faculty in the Dalhousie Biology Department, Biology 0010.00 is accepted Dalhousie University (including Nursing) in place of NS Grade 12 Biology.
What Will I Learn?
You will gain a solid fuondation in the subject by learning the major concepts of cell biology, genetics and evolution and how they relate to our society. Topics include:
- What is life and the Scientific method
- Cells and the Chemistry of Life
- Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration
- Cancer, mitosis and meiosis
- Mendelian genetics, Inheritance of traits
- DNA replication and Forensiscs
- Genes, Proteins and Genetic Engineering
- Reproduction and Development
- The Nervous system, Mental illness, Drugs
- Evidence for Evolution, Natural Selection, Human health
- Life's Origins, Biodiversity and Human Origins
This class uses both lecture and laboratory experiences to enhance your understanding of Biology. You should be prepared to spend a minimum of 3 hours for every hour of class time in order to learn the material and to complete exercises.
* University Prep courses are non-credit preparatory courses. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that each course he/she enrolls in is accepted at other post-secondary institutions, beyond Dalhousie University.