Technical Writing Essentials ‑ 100% Online
January 9-30, 2018
April 10 - May 1, 2018
As a technology professional, you are a master of complexity. But the more complex your ideas and information are, the simpler and clearer your writing must be.
This course will enable you to communicate more clearly and easily with supervisors, clients, and colleagues. You’ll discover communication strengths you didn’t know you had and learn how to build on them to become a more capable, confident writer.
What You Will Learn
After completing the course, you’ll be able to:
- Analyze your audience using three different methods
- Bridge the knowledge gap between you and non-expert readers
- Create a straightforward document structure for a brief document
- Describe technology so that readers can visualize it
Who Should Take This Course
Engineers, business analysts, software engineers, network administrators, project managers, and anyone who uses writing to share technical information.
How the Course Works
- Each week, you’ll complete a variety of interactive online learning activities, including a brief writing activity. You’ll receive personalized feedback on two of those activities.
- Throughout the course, you’ll join in conversations with other participants via the discussion forum.
- Twice during the course, you’ll connect with other participants and the facilitator during a live virtual coaching session.
|Course component||Time needed||Total time for the course|
|Weekly self-paced learning activities (such as videos, writing exercises, discussion postings, and interactive media)||3 hours per week||12 hours|
|Writing assignments||2 hours for each of 2 assignments||4 hours|
|Virtual coaching sessions||1 hour each||2 hours|
|Total over 4 weeks: