Make a difference in your community—and your career
Master the fundamentals of how local governments work and propel your community and career forward, whether you’re new to the municipal landscape or seeking to advance your current position. Our online certificate programs boost your confidence, broaden your knowledge of civic affairs, prepare you for professional designations, and—perhaps most importantly—equip you to better serve your community.
Details at a glance
Format: 100% Online
Certificates Offered: Our program offers 3 certificates.
- Associate Certificate in Local Government (with concentration in 5 areas)
- National Advanced Certificate in Local Authority Administration
- Executive Certificate in Local Government Leadership
For more detailed information, please visit our Certificates section.
- New student admission fee: $200
- Fee per course: $985
- Fee for the Executive Certificate in Local Government Leadership: $2,995
What will I learn?
As a leader in local government education for more than 50 years, Dalhousie University understands that we all benefit when those who work in public service have the latest knowledge and tools at their fingertips. Our instructors are faculty are professional practitioners from across Canada. Developed by leaders in municipal administration and adult education, our curriculum will help you:
- Acquire professional skills that are immediately applicable to your job
- Connect with a national network of local government administrators and leaders
- Increase professional marketability, with an education recognized Canada-wide
Who should attend?
Our Local Government programs are designed for municipal employees at all stages of their careers and councillors who want to improve their governance skills or who want a deeper appreciation of the administration that supports them. Whether you’re new to the profession and want a strong foundation to set you up for success, or in mid-career and interested in specialization and advancement, there are certificates to support your needs.