Certificate in Adult Education
The Certificate in Adult Education is a comprehensive introduction to the field for those who wish to gain expertise, along with a recognized professional credential, in adult/continuing education. The program includes both theory and practical skills development.
Very successful since 1987, this 90-hour program (offered in nine modules) is a mainstay for people working in the field of adult learning and teaching.
Who will benefit?
This program is designed for people who work with adults in a variety of settings including those who:
- instruct adults in classrooms and in non-formal settings
- co-ordinate and facilitate workplace training programs
- provide support services to adult education
- design educational materials for adults
- work in voluntary agencies or advocacy groups
- want to begin a career in adult and continuing education
The goal is to equip educators of adults with appropriate knowledge and skills for the performance of such roles as teacher, facilitator, program planner, administrator and advocate.
What will you learn?
In this program you look at the breadth and depth of the field of adult learning and teaching. From history and theory to program design and evaluation - you will be engaged in learning about how adults learn and how to design, deliver and evaluate exceptional educational programs.
The topics include:
- the historical significance of Adult Education in Nova Scotia and Canada
- some prominent theories of Adult Education
- how diversity issues impact the learning environment
- differences in ways of learning
- facilitation skills
- the program design model:
- needs assessment
- learning objectives
- content design
- delivery and methodology
You will also have opportunities to demonstrate ways to incorporate your learning into your own adult teaching. In addition to in-class practice, you will:
- prepare a program design project and submit it for evaluation
- facilitate a short 30-minute interactive session with a group of your program peers
- participate in online discussions about issues relevant to the course content and field
The Certificate in Adult Education from the Dalhousie University College of Continuing Education is awarded upon completion of all nine modules and assignments. Grading is Pass/Fail.
The Certificate in Adult Education program meets once a month from September – June. There are nine nine-hour modules offered Friday evenings and Saturday.
There are no pre-requisites for admission to the Certificate in Adult Education program although some experience working with adult learners is beneficial. The program is designed to support a cohort learning model and when you register you accept a commitment to the entire program. Non-cohort participants are accepted into individual modules if there is space available. Tuition includes 90 hours of instruction, all course materials, nutrition breaks and a light lunch on Saturday.
Materials Fee: $125.00
Total Fee: $4495
- Payment in full
- Payment plan
|September 25, 2020||$961.25|
|November 27, 2020||$961.25|
|January 29, 2021||$961.25|
|March 1, 2021||$961.25|
Individual Module Fee: $575 (contact us to see if there is space available to register)
Reserve your place
A deposit of $400 and a materials fee of $125 are required at the time of registration and will secure your spot in the program. Payment in full is required prior to the start of the program.