There are two ways to submit your graduate studies application: online or by mail. Detailed instructions for each application procedure may be viewed below.
To apply online, go to the Dal Online Admissions Login page.
Please note that in an emergency some documents may be sent by email or fax.
Transcripts, however, must be official copies, not photocopies, emails, or faxes.
Applying by mail
1) Download the application form available on the Faculty of graduate Studies' Applying for Graduate Studies page.
2) Forward your completed application form and application fee to:
Office of the Registrar
Halifax NS, Canada B3H 4R2.
3) Send the following documents to the Department of Philosophy:
Two official copies of transcripts of all your university work. (If possible, this should include grades for courses completed in the Fall term immediately before the January15th applicaton deadline).
At least two letters of reference*
A one-page statement of your interests*
A short (10-20 page) sample of your written work.*
* not necessary for application for Special Student status
All application documents should be received by January 15th, for admission with financial support for the following September.
The absolute deadline for receipt of application is January 31st.
- no special application for financial aid is necessary.
- All applicants for regular MA and PhD programmes will automatically be considered for the regular fellowship/teaching assistantship, or the Killam Fellowship. (Special and Part-Time students are not eligible.)
- PhD applicants are normally expected to have applied for the SSHRC Pre-Doctoral fellowship, or other external funding, and should state whether they have done so on their statement of interest.
For further information, please contact:
Dr. Greg Scherkoske
Department Mailing Address:
Department of Philosophy, Dalhousie University
6135 University Avenue
PO Box 15000
Halifax, NS B3H 4R2