FAQs: PeopleAdmin Recruitment System
Information on our online job application system
Please review the following questions and answers regarding PeopleAdmin, our online recruitment system. If you have additional questions that are not included here, please email us.
Account and Login Information
Do I need to create an account?
- New applicants: Yes; all new applicants need to create an account to apply to a position. See “How do I create an account?” for further instruction.
- Previous Applicants: Yes; if you had applied to a position at Dal anytime before April 29, 2019, your previous login credentials from CareerBeacon are no longer valid, and you will need to create a new account. See “How do I create an account?” for further instruction.
- Current Employees: No; if you are a Dal employee you should not create an account. Instead, faculty and staff should log in using their NetID credentials. See “How do I log in?” for further instruction.
How do I create an account?
- Select Create Account in the left-hand navigational menu of the Applicant Portal at www.dal.ca/careers
- On the next page, click the Create Account green button. Follow the prompts to create your username, password etc.
How do I log in?
- External Applicants: Select Log In in the left-hand navigational menu of the Applicant Portal (www.dal.ca/careers).
On the next page, enter your username and password, then click the Log Ingreen button.
- Current Employees: Select Log In in the left-hand navigational menu of the Applicant Portal.
On the next page, select “Current employees select this link to log in”. You will then be redirected to a new page.
On the new page, select “Click here to log in with your NetID & Password”, and log in with your NetID credentials. You will then be automatically redirected back to the Applicant Portal in a “logged in” state.
Note to employees: If you receive an error when trying to log in, you may not be currently registered with a PeopleAdmin account. Please contact Talent Management at firstname.lastname@example.org or Academic Staff Relations at email@example.com.
Searching and Applying for Jobs
How do I search for positions?
- Click on the gold buttons labelled Faculty, Staff, Postdoctoral Fellows or Part-Time Academics to find positions within those categories. Positions with our Facilities Management group (Trades, Security, Custodial) and Grant-Paid opportunities fall within the Staff category.
- You may search all positions by selecting “click HERE to view all postings” at the top of the screen or Search Jobs in the left-hand navigational menu. There is also a search function available within each category.
How do I apply for a position?
- Learn more about an advertised opportunity by clicking View Detailson a posting of interest.
- Review the position details in full. To apply, click Apply for this Jobat the top of the screen. Follow the prompts to upload your application documents, complete the self-identification questionnaire and submit your application. A confirmation code will display onscreen when your application has been successfully submitted.
Can I drop off a paper copy of my application?
- Dalhousie University is unable to accept applications outside of the online Applicant Tracking System. Completion of a workforce questionnaire is a required element of the application process which all applicants must complete. The questionnaire provides an opportunity for applicants to self-identify as member(s) of equity-seeking group(s) so that Dalhousie’s Employment Equity Policy can be applied during the hiring process. As well, Dalhousie requires direct consent to collect applicant information. Both the self-identification form and consent certification are built into the online submission process, therefore the online application system must be used.
What documents do I need to include in my application?
- Application requirements vary by type of position. Please refer to the Documents Needed to Apply section at the bottom of each job posting for required and optional documentation needs. You will be prompted to attach these documents during the application process. An application cannot be submitted without the required documents.
How do I know if my application was received?
- You will receive a confirmation email following successful completion of the application process.
- You can also confirm the status of your application through your account. Click Your Applications in the left-hand navigational menu. This next screen will list all your saved and submitted applications.
- Submitted applications will appear in the Completed Applicationssection and will list a confirmation number. You can also view the job posting, your submitted application and withdraw from the competition should you choose.
- Applications that need further action appear in the Applications to Complete section. Such applications require further action and have not been submitted.
Can I edit my application?
- You can edit your application if it has not yet been submitted. To do so, click Your Applications in the left-hand navigational menu. Click on Application in the Application Materials column beside the relevant job title to edit the application. Be sure to submit the application prior to posting close date.
- If you have already submitted the application, it cannot be edited. In special circumstances, it may be appropriate to contact Human Resources to request a change (e.g. to update your contact information).
- You can withdraw your completed application at any time. Please see “How can I withdraw my application?” for more information.
How do I check the status of my application?
- Click Your Applications in the left-hand navigational menu and then find the competition you applied to in the Completed Applications section. You will see the headings Confirmation Number, Posting Number, Status, Application Date, and Application Materials. The status of the competition will be listed under the Status heading.
How can I withdraw my application?
- Click Your Applications in the left-hand navigational menu.
- Find your application in the Completed Applications section. Click Withdraw Application and follow the steps. When complete, you will see the Status change to Withdrawn in the Completed Applications section.
- Please note that if you withdraw from a competition you cannot re-apply into the same competition.
Hiring Process Information
Who can see my application?
- Dalhousie University takes privacy and confidentially of candidate information seriously. The information you submit will be viewed and used by Dalhousie University staff and faculty involved in the hiring process. Human Resources employees (Academic and Administrative) and associated support teams will see your application as well as the search committee and other personnel involved in the decision-making process for a search.
Why is Dalhousie asking about my self-identification status?
- Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness and correcting historic disadvantage by ensuring opportunities for underrepresented groups.
- Dalhousie's Employment Equity Policy establishes the university’s commitment and outlines how employment equity will be implemented throughout the hiring process.
- Dalhousie’s Employment Equity Policy states Dalhousie's commitment to employment equity and instituting active measures to eliminate discrimination and to reverse the historic under-representation of Indigenous peoples (especially Mi’kmaq), members of racialized minority groups (especially historic African Nova Scotians), persons with disabilities, women, and persons belonging to sexual orientation and/or gender identity (SOGI) minority groups within its workforce.
- Dalhousie’s Policy is consistent with the federal Employment Equity Act and the Nova Scotia Human Rights Act.
- Please visit www.dal.ca/hiringfordiversity for more information.
Does Dalhousie give priority to currently employed faculty or staff?
Priority considerations for currently faculty and staff members vary by type of position and employee group or union. Please refer to the Application Consideration section of the job posting for information related to a specific search.
How long will the hiring process take?
- Dalhousie University has a detailed and thoughtful hiring and recruitment process. It can take several weeks for search committees to appropriately assess all applications.
When will I hear back?
- Dalhousie University sincerely appreciates the interest and efforts of all applicants. However, due to the volume of applications received, only applicants invited to interview will be contacted. Invitations for interviews may be extended several weeks after a position closes.
All interviewees will be notified of the status of their candidacy after the hiring decision has been finalized.
Are late applications accepted?
- Consideration may be made in consultation between Human Resources and the search committee under exceptional circumstances. For unionized staff positions, late applications are not accepted. Please contact Talent Management at firstname.lastname@example.org or Academic Staff Relations at email@example.com for further guidance.
How can I request accommodation?
- If you require any support for the purpose of accommodation, specifically to reduce or remove barriers to equitable candidate assessment, please do not hesitate to contact Talent Management (staff positions) at firstname.lastname@example.org or Academic Staff Relations (academic positions) at email@example.com.